please help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Goyetche

Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
about to start my first build and with these forums i am realizing that there is more to assembly than i thought and i am a dumby with math
i have the calculation of 1/3 CC TO FB no problems its where to mount the side box that got me stumped
cook chamber is 18" diam 30" long fire box is 14.75" diam 16" long
i need to determine the height of the foot ball, in the center, other than this i think i am ok
new to forums new to smoking new to building
anyone that could help with this measure i would be very appreciative
thanks Mark HALIFAX ns

Hey Mark. Welcome
First off, have you determined were the grill grates will be? The top of the intake, FB to CC should be level or just below the grates. I 'am assuming this is a horizontal free flow and not a reverse flow. Are your cylinders by any chance propane tanks or just pipe. Pipe is easy. Propane tanks are a little tricky but not too bad.

hi sorry really appreciate the help
horizontal hot water tank for cc and piece of propane bottle for fb
i am trying a reverse flow so i assume the drip pan would be just over cc to fb hole(intake) and grate would go over slightly over that
the propane tank is now just a cylinder and will have flat ends

hi sorry really appreciate the help
horizontal hot water tank for cc and piece of propane bottle for fb
i am trying a reverse flow so i assume the drip pan would be just over cc to fb hole(intake) and grate would go over slightly over that
the propane tank is now just a cylinder and will have flat ends

Yeah you got it. Cut your opening as low in the cc as you can. The opening should be 5" - 6" sq or oval or football shape what ever you like. Just keep in mind all the openings should be petty close to the same size. Exp. 6" air inlet to fb 6" opening fb to cc and 6" out let to chimney.The openings in your baffles or drip pan should also total 6". I think some where between 5" to 7" should be good. You could even go 8" but that's kinda on the big side. It's not a perfect science. Keep in mind the 3w's (weather, wind, wood) The wood you can pick. the other two are just waiting to mess with you. Leave a bit of a lip or edge at the bottom of the cc as a grease trap or dam. So the drippings from the meat don't run into the fb and start a grease fire in your cc.
Have fun, smokem if you gotem.

Yeah you got it. Cut your opening as low in the cc as you can. The opening should be 5" - 6" sq or oval or football shape what ever you like. Just keep in mind all the openings should be petty close to the same size. Exp. 6" air inlet to fb 6" opening fb to cc and 6" out let to chimney.The openings in your baffles or drip pan should also total 6". I think some where between 5" to 7" should be good. You could even go 8" but that's kinda on the big side. It's not a perfect science. Keep in mind the 3w's (weather, wind, wood) The wood you can pick. the other two are just waiting to mess with you. Leave a bit of a lip or edge at the bottom of the cc as a grease trap or dam. So the drippings from the meat don't run into the fb and start a grease fire in your cc.
Have fun, smokem if you gotem.

There is a science to making a smoker that works very well....

18" dia. X 30" length = 18x18x0.7854x30 = 7630 c.i. x 0.33= 2518 c.i. Good choice for the 2 components..

7630 x 0.004 = 31 sq. in. for the openings... FB/CC, below the RF plate, end of the RF plate....

7630 x 0.001 = 8 sq. in. for the CC openings.. 6 sq. inches below the fire grate and 2 sq. in. across from the FB/CC opening....

7630 x 0.022 = 168 c. i. for the exhaust stack volume...

168 / (.7854 x 3 x 3) = 24" tall stack BUT make it a 3" stack..~34" above the CC...

Because the FB is 14.75" diameter, use 7" for the radius in the circle calculator....

The green area is the SEGMENT AREA .... because you are making a football, set the numbers to equal a bit bigger than 1/2 the segment area.. then when you add the upper half of the football, you will have a good area number, and good air flow.... "make sense" ??

31 sq. in. + is what you need for the completed football segment area.... Sooooooo.....

using a 7" radius and a 3" ED segment height, I come up with 1/2 the football at ~24 sq. in. That will work just fine... too big is better than too small...

Place the CC up against the FB end... place a mark up 6" from the bottom edge of the CC... Draw an arc on the FB end using the CC tube... That is the football shape you want......
You can also scribe the inside of the FB on a piece of cardboard... move the FB so it is now 6" from the edge of the circle you drew... scribe the inside of the FB again so you have a 6" wide football... you can use that as a template...

Rerun the numbers in the circle calculator using 6" as the segment height... 13.9" CHORD AB is the width of your RF plate.. make it 14"... and for length, make the RF plate 26.5" long.. that will give you ~50 sq. in. at the end for good air flow... The RF plate "should" weld in at the top of the football... Fit up the FB just above the football and weld it in... Use the template for a piece that fits the end of the FB... it already has the football shape that needs cutting out...

This can be somewhat confusing sooooo, I'm here... PM me if necessary... Dave

Last edited:
5f7 2.jpg
1 A Football opening 2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky