1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Please help new owner of MES (30) ?

Discussion in 'Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (MES) Owners' started by bbq pitman, Jun 16, 2018.

1. bbq pitman

bbq pitman Newbie

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to get my
    mes 30 to a consistent smoke ? Starting off by putting the wood chips in cold then running it at 275 for atleast a half hour then droping the temp to 225. It seems that the chips won't give a smoke at 225.
    Also are my chips suppose to turn black I don't want to flavor my meats with an ash taste ? How soon do add chips.

thanks,

tony

2. R Blum

R Blum Smoke Blower

Problem with a mes is that it is only going to smoke when the heater element is on. I have a cold smoker unit that I use even for hot smoking that gives plenty of smoke.

Attached Files:

3. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Are you soaking your chips? Don't.
    Even dry, they will only last about 25-30 minutes, and then turn to ash in the chip pan. At that time, replenish.

4. bbq pitman

bbq pitman Newbie

thank you,

should i put the chips in cold then run at 275 for half hour to 45 mins ?

5. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

You shouldn't have to run your MES at 275 or preheat your chips to get them to smoke. It sounds more like a temp problem.
    MES temp settings and temp probes are notorious for being wildly inaccurate. Are you depending on those for your temp settings?? If you are, you're probably quite a bit off the temp you think you MES is sitting at.
    For a MES owner (and most others too) a remote digital 2 probe therm is the first thing you should get. If money's tight, then an inexoensive oven therm will work just fine. Just place it in the MES, set the MES temp controller at 225, and when its up to temp then check and see if the oven therm agrees. Then its just s matter of playing with the temp setting until you find out where to set the MES to get the cook temp you want.
    And ALWAYS leave the top vent wide open. That will ensure that you don't get that stale smoke taste on your food.
    Gary

6. Been looking at the Masterbuilt electric smoker for those days I just don't fell like fire tending and also for smoking cheese and curing sausage. Anyone know what the temperature range is? I am not so concerned about the high temp but need to know if it will go low enough to smoke cheese.

7. smokerjim

smokerjim Smoking Fanatic

I have a mes 30, you might want look to look into a amnps with mailbox mod, that's all I use for hot and cold smokes.

8. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I agree my MES 40 has never seen a wood chip,infact I don't know if I even have a chip tray anymore LOL
    Richie

9. Winterrider

Winterrider Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Your not just using junk wood by chance instead of chips. Have to fess up to accidentally buying a bag of chunks many years ago instead of the chips.