Please Help Me Decide!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diver165

Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
WV
OK, I'm a long time lurker....

I have a MES 40 that I've been using for about 2yrs.  It's worked well for butts and brisket.  But it lacks the temp capabilities for birds and baking.  I really am just not interested in modifying it.  So I'm looking into a nice pellet smoker. Because when we fire up the smoker the whole fam-damnly and all my friends show up.  We always manage to put a hurtin on swine and bovine population!!!  I swear I think their noses are like a moth's attraction to a porch light...well, except they usually don't bang their heads against the smoker.  Anyway....

I've narrowed my choices down to a Yoder 640 and the Rec Tec

The thing that draws me to the Yoder: 

1.  Sturdiness

2.  Second shelf capabilities

3.  10yr warranty (fire box only) 3yr on everything else.

4.  600F advertised max temp

The things that point me towards the Rec Tec are:

1.  304 Stainless Steel throughout.

2.  6yr warranty bumper to bumper.  30day money back free shipping guarantee (The offer has never been used supposedly).

3.  A helluva lot closer to me to travel to actually be face to face with Rec Tec if needed

4.  A helluva lot cheaper in price and they offer financing.

I've talked to both of them.  Both companies were polite, eager to answer questions.  I asked about the temp controllers on the Yoders.  They lady I spoke with got the deer in the headlights look (well it sounded like it anyway) and said she needed to point me in another direction to get that answer.  Fair enough...the guy ( I have no idea what his name is) answered all of my questions after that. 

I guess it really boils down to capacity and sturdiness. 

Diver, I feel your anxiety. I've been pondering this same thing for some time now after eliminating the Green Mountain from consideration. The Yoder is a beauty, I'll give it that. I hear built like a tank & US made, a major +. The RT is also quite stout and a tank from what I understand some very trusted users on here are saying. Of course, everybody loves the unit they end up with, right? The payment plan is a big attraction to me as is the approx. 1,000 less in price. I've heard nothing buy xlnt reviews of the RT and their customer service. I've watched vids on you-tube of both units in action and it's a very tough choice. If I was in my prime earning years I'd lean Yoder but am semi-retired now so am more conservative with the $$. I think I just talked myself into the Rec-Tec....lol...now I just have to pull the trigger and order it.....Good luck with your decision. There are a coupla fairly recent reviews of the Rec-Tec on here if that helps....Willie

Well after much contemplation and research I decided to go with the Rec Tec.  I'm so damned excited I can hardly stand it!  Ben with Rec Tec took my order and rushed to prep it for UPS.  I just got my shipping confirmation email with tracking number.  I should have it on Friday.  Just in time for the weekend (and it's my weekend off from work!!!). 

Already checked the weather...no rain this weekend. YES!

Hey Diver, congrats on the new pit!  I think you're gonna love it.  You mentioned it arriving on Friday...so did it come today??  Be sure to show it off with some actions shots!

Red

It did! I didn't have time to assemble everything. I work midnights and it was time to get ready for work. But the wife and I did get to go through everything to make sure it shipped ok. So tomorrow will be the assembly and fire up! After a short post work nap lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky