Planning out my first build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Firebox question. My tank I'm using for firebox isn't as thick as I would like but going with it so if I need to I'm going to insulate it, but going to try it first. If I do insulate it do I need to reconfigure the size of the box?

No need to reconfigure to FB...    Insulation will just hold the heat in...  It will work OK as is...  If it's really thin, you can add 1" fire brick in the bottom and up the sides of the FB about 1 brick high..  That will keep the fire from eating out the FB....

For me I would look at how over sized am on my firebox and what will adding to interior do to my sizing. If it drops me below 100% I would not insulate the inside with firebrick. I would look into what I could do on the outside.

too tall and flimsy. They will bend in a heartbeat.     Go for something more sturdy and lower profile.

also with the pivot there it will only open halfway.

3/16" is fine for firebox.   My small smokers use 3/16" steel and all you need to do is toss in another lump of wood to compensate.

If you already have it, use it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky