Planning a build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KeithLBPI

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 12, 2018
Hey all,

Not been very active but have been smoking a lot, especially at the fire station. The guys and myself love it. But I want more.

My little 30 masterbuilt gets the job done, but I can't get good smoke for anything under 250 temp.. Whenever I do 225 I get no smoke. Besides the fact, I want to build a smoker.

I'm thinking somewhere 55 to 100 gallon smoker. Just trying to figure out a price line to save towards. I did some searching on the site and saw there were multiple types. For a smoker this size, I assume something other than woodchips would be used?

I also saw most smoker builds had a fire box to the side. Wouldn't you want it directly underneath center of the smoker with vents on the top sides to get smoke evenly dispersed? Any tips of links to your build is appreciated.

Good morning and Welcome from a Beautiful Sunny Day here in East Texas

Your Build so make it the way you want a SF (straight flow) has the fire box on one end and stack on the other. A RF (reverse flow) has the firebox and stack on the same end with a plate under the grate that is open on the opposite end. I use the RF

Gary

I'm not trying to talk you out of a build or anything but you should REALLY look up "mailbox mod" on the forums.

It will instantly fix your low smoke probs for 50.00 or less plus pellets. Its a game changer for the mes

I will definitely look that up thank you so much for the suggestion. I want to build a different smoker so I can do much more quantity.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky