• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Placement of AMNPS in 2.5 gen 40" MES

larrymac

Joined Jul 30, 2016
Just pre seasoned it today.
Should get the 5 X 8 AMNPS soon from Todd.
Where will I place it in my MES?
Btw how long approx will the smoke last?
Am I putting smoke on the entire cook? Or just like the first half of the cook?
Here's a pic of my MES?

Last edited:

photomatt

Joined Jul 3, 2016
I place my 5x8 on the lowest rack. I get about 5 hours of smoke. I have a Mes 30 2nd gen.

smokingearl

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 14, 2015
I put the AMPS on the bottom of my 40 inch MES smoker under the water pan. When I'm smoking for at least 11 hours (butts and briskets) I fill the whole AMPS and it'll smoke for 11 hours. Most the time I'll smoke the entire cook time. Ribs, chicken, pork loins. If my butt is gonna be done in 12 hours, I'll just cook the extra hour without refilling the AMPS. But on any cooks that's gonna be more than 12 hours, I'll refill the AMPS accordingly.

Last edited:

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2013
I placed mine under the water tray. I've only used it once so far. Amnps choked out about half way through the pellets. I'm going to mailbox mod it like I did with my mes version 2. No fuss that way.

larrymac

Joined Jul 30, 2016
I put the AMPS on the bottom of my 40 inch MES smoker under the water pan. When I'm smoking for at least 11 hours (butts and briskets) I fill the whole AMPS and it'll smoke for 11 hours. Most the time I'll smoke the entire cook time. Ribs, chicken, pork loins. If my butt is gonna be done in 12 hours, I'll just cook the extra hour without refilling the AMPS. But on any cooks that's gonna be more than 12 hours, I'll refill the AMPS accordingly.
Should it make sense to have two AMNPS for those cooks over 11-12 hours? Like a quick rotation?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.