Pizzas on the Grill for La Familia (Little Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Everyone wanted pizza. So I said sure I'll make some. Decided to do them on the grill since africanmeat's looked so good. First we had to make some dough.

bda723a6_IMG_1465.jpg

[h2]Pizza Dough[/h2]
12 oz. warm water

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 packet Active Dry Yeast
1 ½ teaspoon brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups “00” flour

1 cup Bread Flour

Use Dough setting on bread machine.

Combine the water, sugar, and yeast in the bread maker and stir until dissolved. After yeast proofs add salt, oil and the sifted flour and turn on bread maker.

Once the bread maker has made a smooth, firm dough. Turn off the bread maker. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Set aside to rise in the warmest part of the kitchen for at least 60 minutes.

Cut the risen dough into 5 equal pieces and knead each portion into a round. Cover again and let rest 30 minutes. Or refrigerate overnight and use the next day.

Place a Pizza stone in the grill to preheat.
Preheat the grill to 450 degrees F.
Bake on a pizza stone until crust is golden brown, about 7-10 minutes.

5677745b_IMG_1466.jpg

Then we roll them and toss them and add the toppings. This one is plain pepperoni for the youngest daughter.

b330242a_IMG_1468.jpg

Her finished pizza.

537b1560_IMG_1469.jpg

The wife wanted pepperoni and green olives on hers.

0cac261b_IMG_1470.jpg

Got another one ready to top while the wife's pizza cools.

530815b6_IMG_1471.jpg

The MIL wanted whatever I had on hers. Mushrooms, olives, onions and pepperoni.

0fc7435d_IMG_1472.jpg

The MIL was quite pleased. So that was good.

600a2763_IMG_1473.jpg

My oldest daughter went with pepperoni and Tamed Jalepenos. Mazzetta makes them. They are really good if you want a jap without the intense burn.

14b8ca04_IMG_1474.jpg

I had pepperoni, mushrooms and olives.

66bae19d_IMG_1475.jpg

Couldn't get a finished pic of mine. Camera don't work well with dead batteries. But you get the idea. It was really good.

Thanks for watching.

Excellent Scott!

We smoke or grill our pizzas all the time.

You can get a ball of pizza dough big enough for 2 pizzas at Wally World for $.88.

Great looking pizzas, and ya once on the grill or smoker never the oven again. And since the Mil was pleased than all is good!

Hey Scot

Not sure how I missed this the first time around. Awesome!

Those Pizza's look mouth watering, making me hungry just looking at the pictures.  I have been wanting to try smoking a pizza for awhile now, maybe I will give it a shot here soon.  Also I saw on your recipe you had "00" Flour.  I have never heard of that, nor have I seen that in stores? 

Thanks for the kind words. These weren't smoked just grilled at 500 on a pizza stone.

As for "00" flour here's the lowdown.

In Italy, flour is classified either as 1, 0, or 00, and refers to how finely ground the flour is and how much of the bran and germ have been removed. Doppio zero is the most highly refined and is talcum-powder soft. Many people assume that this softness also means that the flour is low in protein, and therefore particularly suitable for making pasta but unsuitable for making bread. They are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

As Jeffrey Steingarten cogently explains in his book, UK), flours of varying protein levels can be milled to the 00 category. He had a number of samples of flour analyzed in a lab and found the 00 flours to be higher in protein than many of the less-refined ones. Higher protein 00 flours that are suitable for making bread are labeled in Italy as "panifiable" — essentially "bread-ready."

Steingarten says cooks in the United States sometimes substitute a mix of low-protein cake flour and all-purpose flour for the 00 flour called for in a pasta recipe. But Marcella Hazan, author of UK), says she finds that all-purpose flour does the "most consistently satisfying job" in standing in for the doppio zero.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky