Pizza oven, Santa maria grill , & smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Really cool build and something that looks like it was a lot of really fun and really hard work.

Where did you get the doors for the smoker? I've been thinking of putting doors on my live fire grill to make it into an oven smoker, and those look like exactly what I am looking for
I tried posting the link but for some reason it wouldn't. I purchased the door from eBay from some company out of united kingdom. Shipping was about 2 weeks to California.

Beautiful masonry work. Wonderful choice of colors and textures. One question and one suggestion...

S: It appears the smoker grates go in at somewhat of an angle to clear the front door frame. The frame appears well attached with the bolts. I'd suggest notching the inner stiffener where the grates are so they readily slide in and out with wet meat on them. I find that one of the great advantages of a vertical smoker.

Q: What's the 3/4" copper pipe in the pic with the veggies in the basket? Air inlet feed? Not for a gas burner to get the wood started?

Beautiful masonry work. Wonderful choice of colors and textures. One question and one suggestion...

S: It appears the smoker grates go in at somewhat of an angle to clear the front door frame. The frame appears well attached with the bolts. I'd suggest notching the inner stiffener where the grates are so they readily slide in and out with wet meat on them. I find that one of the great advantages of a vertical smoker.

This is the second setup I've built, that being said. The first one I made did have the angle notched for the grates to slide. I had 3 problems with the 1st setup. 1 was that when sliding the grate would want to tilt forward if moved out too much. This could be prevented if I added another angle iron inside above the grate. 2nd was where I notched the first one I had air leaks and was losing enough smoke that I decided not to do the same to this one. 3rd was when pulling out the grates to mop it would leave a mess on the floor in front of the grill unless I put a pan down when I mopped the meats. I found it easier to just put a hole in the cap of a 16 oz water bottle and just spray the meats and let the drippings land on the water tray or the meat below inside the smoker.

Q: What's the 3/4" copper pipe in the pic with the veggies in the basket? Air inlet feed? Not for a gas burner to get the wood started?

When I built the Santa Maria grill I didn't put any ventilation holes in the concrete. So when I used it before adding the veneer stone it seemed the concrete breathed well enough that I didn't have an issue with air flow. Although once I finished the complete build I had issues in keeping a flame. So yes they are inlet feeds for air I needed to add to both sides of the grill to keep a good airflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: bill1
WOW this is just the build I was looking for, great job. I have spent days looking for this set up I think I could make it work. SMF is #1 you guys are great.

This build took me about 2 years to complete. Had to make various modifications to the pizza oven. The smoker is pretty much a simple off set idea but with brick. Thought I would add to the brick smoker section for some more ideas.
that is a really nice looking build! what is your temperature range in the smoker?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky