Pizza Oven Progress with New Pics 3/6/2012 Finally Done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Now see what you did ? I'm jealous. Now I,ll haft to build me another one. See it's full size. Hope you have big family or plan on selling. Looking great. There is a book out by Alan Scott called the Bread Builders. Has lots of recipe for bread and tips on how to use and take care of your oven. Few tips I learned from mine. Don't use any kind of starter fluid to start fire, leaves bad taste in oven. After first hot fire vacuum out top and all with shop vac. Excess cement will break down and get into your pizza. Buy yourself long skinny wood paddle like in this picture on right side. Easy to turn your pizza and bread. Fat one looked good hanging on over but was hard to work with. Enjoy brother, know you will love it. Can't wait till final pictures.

b9c5686b_bbq7.jpg

Here are the tools I am ordering - This is based on what my friend who owns a pizza place recommended -

I already have a fireplace shovel I can use for ashes 

napolatana-peel-47-inch-vera-napolatana.png

This one turns the pizza, bread or what ever I have in the oven 

pizza-turner-small.gif

Here is a grill that goes in the oven for meats, veggies etc

Tuscan-grill-frankie-g.png

Pizza-oven-brush-brass-bristols-wood-burning-ovens-fgpizza2.png

This is for moving the fire around

wood_fired_oven_ash_scraper.jpg

Gary this is a big pizza oven wow .love the tools you got ,the grill is a great idea just put a tray under it so you don't stain the floor and the pizza will not  stick to it.

Now Im jealous those tools look great
yahoo.gif
.I use a garden rake,& homemade pokers out of rebar.
laugh1.gif
.I bought the paddles & brush but rest was all improvised .The grill is a great idea,you can also use it to stack up your fire & get some air circulating around the firewood,although at the moment you are likely to have a whole lot more dry wood than me.I  find that wood stacked under my oven dries from the heat or in early stages I relay wood through it.Put some in the oven but not in the fire & cook it a bit so you always have a dry bit to go on next.

Im going to adapt your jerk chicken recipe to baby goat & do it in my oven when the rain stops.

Looking forward to the next pics.

This is one of the reasons I got this oven - it is not for pizza alone. I love a great steak and this has always been a quest. 

I plan to use this oven for lots of things and the high temp steak is just one of them.  The oven is large enough for a 60# piglet.  

One of my passions is to donate time to making food with some of the chefs supporting Farm to Table and some of the other charities that support food to help disadvantaged - If I can do 5 pizzas in 5 minutes I can crank out a lot of them and 6 -8 loaves of bread at a time can help a lot of people.  I just need to figure out the certification process and I am working on that now. I hope to be able to feed 50 people at a time from my oven

Are you building in a temperature probe to give internal readings? Once you get familiar with its properties you can work out how to do several things on the one fire cycle. I love the idea of feeding the disadvantaged, after you do a rib eye,you can pull the fire out bake bread,then maybe bake a lasagne,sausages & beans  or similiar on the run down or refire it to get it back to temp.

Today was an awesome day. So much progress 

Here is the second layer of fire brick installed early this morning

4afe4c64_Pizzzaoven001.jpg

Here is the oven floor going in. We had to do some grinding to get it to lay flat but it is now snug

d0d0b17b_Pizzzaoven002.jpg

This is the smoke chamber and the door stop 

d513a848_Pizzzaoven004.jpg

Here are the first two pieces of the oven shell in place 

3e536d7f_Pizzzaoven005.jpg

Here we are with all the shell pieces in place. They kind of link together with flanges on one side and an inset on the next piece

3c3ac59e_Pizzzaoven008.jpg

Final piece of the oven is the dome cover in place - these joints all get sealed with refractory cement 

cd30f7a6_Pizzzaoven009.jpg

Here it is assembled - next step is the joint sealing and wrapping in insulation and vermiculite. The wood storage

got a coat of plaster today as well 

95a22e12_Pizzzaoven010.jpg

Wow , Wow., and Wow...that is a nice job..

Scar... My question concerns the fire box... The cement block you used for the fire box, What protects them from cracking due to excessive heat? Anytime I made fire pits with just plain cement block They ALWAYS crack and break from the heat.

Maybe the stucco (finish) has some kind of heat barrier ?

Be interesting to see what happens

It Is SaWEEEEEEEET tho.. nice build

Last edited:
Are you building in a temperature probe to give internal readings? Once you get familiar with its properties you can work out how to do several things on the one fire cycle. I love the idea of feeding the disadvantaged, after you do a rib eye,you can pull the fire out bake bread,then maybe bake a lasagne,sausages & beans  or similiar on the run down or refire it to get it back to temp.
I have an infrared point and shoot. I thought about the built in but if they failed it was going to be a pain to fix so I will just use my temp gun and it should be golden. We plan on doing a lot of different things in the oven - I think if I can get a deal on pork tenderloins I can do 15 - 20  at a time. There is a lot of cooking we can do with the oven

Scar... My question concerns the fire box... The cement block you used for the fire box, What protects them from cracking due to excessive heat? Anytime I made fire pits with just plain cement block They ALWAYS crack and break from the heat.
Maybe the stucco (finish) has some kind of heat barrier ?
Be interesting to see what happens
It Is SaWEEEEEEEET tho.. nice build
I think you are looking at the firewood storage in the lower part of the build. The fire goes inside the oven  and  the two layers of firebrick under the oven floor will help hold the temps real well.  I will be posting some more pics in the next day or so that show the insulation blanket and the chicken wire before we do the pearlite and concrete over the oven before the structure is installed 

icon_cool.gif

Woo Hooo that looks awesome. I want one of those on my back porch. That is too cool

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky