Pizza Bratwurst Sausage Recipe Recommendation Request

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shooter71

Original poster
Mar 25, 2019
Hello - Does anyone have a pizza bratwurst sausage recipe that they would recommend. A local grocery store used to sell but no longer does and I would really like to make my own. I found Excalibur seasonings sells a pre-made kit but I would prefer to make from my own seasoning and I really have not found anything online yet.

I thought of just adding "pizza seasoning in attention to a traditional bratwurst recipe (which I am just starting my search for a good home brew brat recipe as well). I even considered just trying to add a jar of pizza sauce to the mix but thinking this may not have a strong enough flavor without having to add too much.

I'd start with one of Marianski's bratwurst recipes and tweak it from there...
I've never heard of pizza bratwurst before, what spices were in it that you could recognize?

Are you making your own brats or just buying them at the market? Pizza is Italian, not German in origin. I'd suggest a traditional pizza made in the Italian fashion, with Italian sausage. Of course I am biased, being Italian and all. You like German flavors, schnitzel and sauerbraten is pretty darned to beat! I get all my sausage seasoning from these folks, spices have a tendency to go stale, you'll get repeatable flavor time and again once you settle on what you are looking for, check it out. RAY

I'd start with one of Marianski's bratwurst recipes and tweak it from there...
I've never heard of pizza bratwurst before, what spices were in it that you could recognize?
Unfortunately I only had them once about a year ago and the store stopped selling them. I recall them tasting like a bratwurst with a pizza flavor and surprised how good they were. They were more red than normal so not sure if that was seasoning, sauce or just coloring to make them look different. Sorry I can not be more descriptive.

Are you making your own brats or just buying them at the market? Pizza is Italian, not German in origin. I'd suggest a traditional pizza made in the Italian fashion, with Italian sausage. Of course I am biased, being Italian and all. You like German flavors, schnitzel and sauerbraten is pretty darned to beat! I get all my sausage seasoning from these folks, spices have a tendency to go stale, you'll get repeatable flavor time and again once you settle on what you are looking for, check it out. RAY

I am just starting to make my own but as stated above I purchased the pizza brats at the time and was looking to replicate and was just looking for a recipe if anyone had one

I would buy the pizza brat seasoning from Walton's and use that. Taste some of just the seasoning to see if you can dial in the flavors to recreate it. The red could be from paprika, red pepper paste, or tomato paste.....

Reactions: zwiller
Chances are your butcher was using a premix seasoning. I had never heard of pizza sausage until now, but might be fun to play around with.
I agree with IDS , buy a bag of premix from Walton's and make a small batch and see if it's the same as you remember. If it's close you can enjoy some pizza brats while you create your own recipe.

And to get ya started, here's the ingredients list for Walton's version.
Salt, Spices (Including Fennel, Celery), Parmesan Cheese (Pasteurized Cow's Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Calcium Propionate [Preservative]), Tomato Powder, Degerminated Yellow Corn Meal, Dehydrated Onion and Garlic, Dextrose, Dehydrated Bell Pepper

I have not seen anyone post a recipe for one. Never heard of it either but sounds good to me! Curious if smoked or not? Honestly, I think most of us use premade seasonings and agree the butcher was probably using them too. I used to consider that cheating but no longer do. IMO premade mixes are likely much better than recipes posted on the web. https://www.waltonsinc.com/supreme-pizza-bratwurst-seasoning

There are several cool things about all these "brat" seasonings: First, they embrace the true german interpretation of bratwurst in that it is simply a ground meat sausage and there are no limits how they can be made. Also, these unique formulations like Waltons sells allow you to create a signature product for you, your family and friends can enjoy that cannot be bought.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I would buy the pizza brat seasoning from Walton's and use that. Taste some of just the seasoning to see if you can dial in the flavors to recreate it. The red could be from paprika, red pepper paste, or tomato paste.....

Shopping for sausage seasonings at Walton's is like being at a Baskin-Robbins. The one I buy is their Chorizo. It's not a Spanish chorizo, but more of a slightly Americanized Mexican chorizo..... it's just as good in chili or as a pattie with breakfast. I plan on experimenting with a few more flavors when I re-order the chorizo.

Thanks for the continued
I think most of us use premade seasonings and agree the butcher was probably using them too. I used to consider that cheating but no longer do. IMO premade mixes are likely much better than recipes posted on the web.
Part of the reason I go through the effort to make my own sausage is to know what is going into it for the meat and seasonings. Most pre-made seasonings have some ingredients you cannot pronounce or they are preservatives which I prefer to avoid. Others better than others. Will start experimenting and share if I end up with a good result.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky