Pitt boss smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stormtrooper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Michigan
I just got a pit boss smoker and i have what seems like a dumb questionbut i figure we've all had head scratchers that turned into forehead slaps. Anyway when im smoking meat to preheat it im supposed to put on smoke setting for 15 - 20 minutes then turn disl to desired temp. My thing is i dont think the meat is getting any smoke after i turn it to right temp. Read a website that said to leave on smoke setting for 2 hrs for ribs then turn it to desired temp which makes sense because the meat won't take any more smoke flavor. Then i looked up smoking a pork shoulder and it dod mention leaving the smoke setting on at all. This is what im thinking im supposed to do. Set dial to temp to preheat then turn dial to smoke for however many hrs i want then turn back to temperature to finish cooking. What do you think? Sorry for posting a book. Thanks for any help!

I set mine to the lowest setting to light, I then will leave it on the smoke settings for several hours to get a good bit of smoke , I will then turn up to what temp I want to finish it at, I also use a tube to add more smoke, the higher you run the temps the less smoke you will have. pellets will also have a different level of flavors, I like the lumber jack line of pellets, fun to experiment with the different flavors and makes, the Traeger have oils added to give them flavor, I have avoided them. Have fun its a easy way to cook imo

Thanks mike! I thought, i knew i was doing something wrong. I do enjoy it and now that I can actually use it correct lol. Its so much easier than my older smoker. I do know what Iam doing but the new smoker just threw me off a bit. Thanks again

My neighbor has a Pit Boss unit with a dial control unit.
The dial control unit is about the same as my new Masterbuilt unit.
Both have adjustable "P" or pause settings.
Neighbor uses his to generate a lot of visible smoke (I know the uneducated).
I use mine to lower my "smoke" setting temperature of 190° to 160°.
I can live with the bit of white smoke as I get a nice steady thin blue smoke from the tube.

Visible smoke is a part of the pellet burn on the pitboss, the temp runs a ramp up/down range in order to generate smoke, you wont hear many folks complaining about to much on any pellet smoker, white smoke is moisture vapors and stick burners are afflicted with it more if they don't preheat the wood.

Visible smoke is a part of the pellet burn on the pitboss, the temp runs a ramp up/down range in order to generate smoke, you wont hear many folks complaining about to much on any pellet smoker, white smoke is moisture vapors and stick burners are afflicted with it more if they don't preheat the wood.
I can see the smoke no problem, just when i follow the instruction book, prob my first mistake, and turn it from smoke to a temp and then put my food in i get no more smoke. Thats why i thought i was doing it backwards. Pre heat on a temp then turn dial to smoke then back up to a temp to finish cooking after meat took all the smoke its going to.

This has all been great advice thank you all so much

Just remember the higher the temp the lower the smoke will be, they burn efficient

Maybe look into an Amazen tube smoker to add extra smoke if needed

I apologize that part should be implied. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hey, you never know! Didn't want to answer an awkward post in a couple weeks about how none of the pellets burned lol.

Here's a link to the original
https://amazenproducts.com/
You can find a lot of imitations too.

I learned the hard way to NOT place it close to the internal temp probe.
It really messed up the pellet feed controls when I did 3 rack of baby backs.

Also I don't place it on my top rack anymore since it drops ash. My smoker has a hot spot on one side, so I just put the tube there.

Nuke the pellets spread out on a plate for 2 minutes before you load them in the tube, they will light and stay burning better

This is why i love this site! So many helpful people willing to give advice based on experience. Thank you guys so much! I will be smoking a pork shoulder on may the 4th so fingers crossed. But this new information does give me a reason to try a sample smoke this week. Oh and i ordered that amazen tube as well. Thanks again everyone!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky