PitBoss Vertical

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Ok i caved into peer pressure.

IMG_1001.jpg

I bought that too about two/three months ago and have absolutely zero regrets. Food = Incredible. Ease of use = Incredible. Smoke = Amazing. Cleanup = Pretty darn easy.

The only thing I'll caution is to buy the cover, and Lowe's doesn't stock them, so go onto the PitBoss website and get one. It will cost you $60 (or $45 if you get the coupon first).

Easily the best purchase I've made in a long time.

One other tip: Buy the InkBird wireless meat thermometer on Amazon. The included probe is ok, but you need more than that.

Yup
Already got the cover. No probes for me (no like em)

Nice!
Did you abandon your PID run smokehouse or are you only doing lower temp sausage smokes and such in it? :)

I just use my TSM/PID for sausage.

The vertical i got to replace my campchef pellet pro.

Doing the burn off.
IMG_1006.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
Just got a Pitt Boss Vertical pellet smoker for my birthday. I have never smoked anything! If I could get some pointers I would greatly appreciate it!

Sorry, I'm not a pellet guy.......just chips and chunks. Maybe better to post on another topic or make a topic yourself.
Pellets are new to me and I was suspicious at first, but read that there are no binders to hold the little pellets together and am now intrigued.
Good luck and happy birthday!!

Just got a Pitt Boss Vertical pellet smoker for my birthday. I have never smoked anything! If I could get some pointers I would greatly appreciate it!

You get more smoke at lower temperatures. Run low to put smoke on whatever you're cooking, then raise the temp after a couple of hours to cook to your finish temp. Above 250F not much smoke is generated as the fire burns too completely. Pellets generate the most smoke when they're burning slowly.

Reactions: RCAlan

Congrats! I've had mine now for about 3 months and no regrets. The good news is that I never smoked anything before either, and this machine is basically "idiot proof". You'll love it.

A couple of pointers: a) Always line the water/drip pan with aluminum foil prior to smoking. It makes your cleanup 1,000% easier. Also, buy a good non-toxic cleaning spray to wipe down the glass after each smoke. Highly recommend lemon oil cleaners.

b) The Competition pellets you can buy at Lowes or on the PitBoss website are great. They give a really good smoke flavor to anything you want to smoke and the machine really doesn't use a ton of them. I've smoked pork butts/shoulders now 4 times (13 hours of smoking each) and have only now just gone through a 40 pound bag.

c) Find a really good rub that you like and rub liberally prior to smoking. There are great chicken/fish rubs and pork/beef rubs out there that taste wonderful. Surprisingly, my favorite all came from Lowe's where I bought the machine. They sell a cherry rub there that is perfect for pork, and also the "Rub Some Butt" and "Rub Some Chicken" ones taste great. I am not a fan of slathering meat in sauce prior to smoking, but to each their own.

d) Keep your meat moist during smoking. Buy one of those trigger sprayer bottles you can get at the big box stores and fill it with apple juice and spray your meat every 60 to 90 mins when smoking. It makes all the difference.

Lastly, enjoy! You won't screw anything up, and the smoker itself holds temperature really well. You'll love it.

Reactions: Wandap11
Rick,

I run the water pan dry and only as a secondary heat deflector in my PB5. I moved the water pan to the 3rd hole from the bottom and the temp swings seem to be less as there is a little more volume of air for the flame to heat around the sensor which is below the pan (at lowest level). I also use a full size disposable pan as my drip pan, but I'm not sure the Pro model you have (PB4?) will hold the full sized pan on a rack. It's perfect for the 5 series though. Yes I sacrifice a cooking rack, but it's worth it. Not a drop of drippings/grease on my water pan or the bottom of my PB5 after 8 smokes doing it this way. I also watch the grate level temps, not the fire box (under water pan) level temps which are displayed on the unit controller. The fire box will swing 20* or more but the pit is rock solid at the meat level in mine.

Also if I'm cooking something that is not drippings/grease heavy, I will just loosely foil the disposable pan and let it sag down into the pan. I can strip off the foil and reuse the pan several times, but if it's something like a pork butt (or two), I just plan on using the whole pan to catch the grease and toss it.

Reactions: Wandap11
You get more smoke at lower temperatures. Run low to put smoke on whatever you're cooking, then raise the temp after a couple of hours to cook to your finish temp. Above 250F not much smoke is generated as the fire burns too completely. Pellets generate the most smoke when they're burning slowly.
Rick,

I run the water pan dry and only as a secondary heat deflector in my PB5. I moved the water pan to the 3rd hole from the bottom and the temp swings seem to be less as there is a little more volume of air for the flame to heat around the sensor which is below the pan (at lowest level). I also use a full size disposable pan as my drip pan, but I'm not sure the Pro model you have (PB4?) will hold the full sized pan on a rack. It's perfect for the 5 series though. Yes I sacrifice a cooking rack, but it's worth it. Not a drop of drippings/grease on my water pan or the bottom of my PB5 after 8 smokes doing it this way. I also watch the grate level temps, not the fire box (under water pan) level temps which are displayed on the unit controller. The fire box will swing 20* or more but the pit is rock solid at the meat level in mine.

Also if I'm cooking something that is not drippings/grease heavy, I will just loosely foil the disposable pan and let it sag down into the pan. I can strip off the foil and reuse the pan several times, but if it's something like a pork butt (or two), I just plan on using the whole pan to catch the grease and toss it.

Just the initial burn in as described in the manual. You want to run it at a high temp for a while to make sure all the oils and stuff from the manufacturing process are burned off.

When I did my burn in, after I was satisfied it was done, I tossed some sausage on and dropped the temp down to 225* and smoked them. I also do the shut down as described in the manual (sort of). I will crank it up if I'm smoking at a lower temp and then you lower the temp so what is in the burn pot is mostly burned, then before it drops to my new low set temp, I put it in shutdown mode (push and hold the on/off button). The auger and element will stop, but the fan will continue to run to burn up the remaining pellets in the burn pot. Keep the door closed and latched during shutdown. I also vacuum out my bottom and fire pot after every usage (the next day).

Just the initial burn in as described in the manual. You want to run it at a high temp for a while to make sure all the oils and stuff from the manufacturing process are burned off.

When I did my burn in, after I was satisfied it was done, I tossed some sausage on and dropped the temp down to 225* and smoked them. I also do the shut down as described in the manual (sort of). I will crank it up if I'm smoking at a lower temp and then you lower the temp so what is in the burn pot is mostly burned, then before it drops to my new low set temp, I put it in shutdown mode (push and hold the on/off button). The auger and element will stop, but the fan will continue to run to burn up the remaining pellets in the burn pot. Keep the door closed and latched during shutdown. I also vacuum out my bottom and fire pot after every usage (the next day).
Thanks for the info. Yeah I read some of the manual and saw where you need to do the initial burn.

Just bought the Series 4 from Lowes this week, have not assembled it yet. I have used MES smokers for years and after my last one crapped out I decided to go with a pellet smoker . Look at the MES pellet but just did not look to well insulated.

One question I have is do you leave the unused pellets in after you are done or do you empty the holding compartment. I did buy a cover with mine as well.

Just bought the Series 4 from Lowes this week, have not assembled it yet. I have used MES smokers for years and after my last one crapped out I decided to go with a pellet smoker . Look at the MES pellet but just did not look to well insulated.

One question I have is do you leave the unused pellets in after you are done or do you empty the holding compartment. I did buy a cover with mine as well.

I have left mine in but will most likely empty them out if it’s going to be a while between smoking. I smoked wings and they were delicious! I did buy the cover but will still remove pellets just so they don’t get damp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky