Pitboss pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rynoracing17

Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Hello I am looking at getting my first pellet grill, was interested in the laredo 1000 because it is on sale and have a Walmart gift card , did some research and seen mixed reviews. I like the features the laredo has and found the competition series and pro series 2have these features as well and around the same price just a little smaller in size. I have reached out to pitboss for information between these models but haven't gotten much in return yet, which is concerning.
Between the pro series 2, laredo and competition series is there anything different that makes one better? Does one make more smoke or come up to temp quicker? Does one have a better controller and have better heat distribution and maintain?

Thanks!

The branding is just different between retailers. One has Platinum, one has Pro Series, etc. The features may be slightly different but they use the same controller and are very similar cookers.

Thanks for the info. Have you had to deal with pb customer service? The information I have received from them via chat has been minimal. Spent a couple hours waiting to talk to someone on the phone and just hung up.

Good to hear and It was the number on there website. Which pb do you have? I just watched a review on the laredo and pro series that said the smoke profile wasn't as good on the laredo as the other pb they were reviewing and suggested a smoke tube to achieve the same . Anybody have any input on this?

I love my pitboss and customer service has been outstanding. I've never had to wait on hold. Are you calling the right number?

Good to hear and It was the number on there website. Which pb do you have? I just watched a review on the laredo and pro series that said the smoke profile wasn't as good on the laredo as the other pb they were reviewing and suggested a smoke tube to achieve the same . Anybody have any input on this?

I love my pitboss and customer service has been outstanding. I've never had to wait on hold. Are you calling the right number?
I have a 5yr old heavily used Austin XL. I posted the number above

I use a smoke tube anytime I use my 1150. I fill/pack it with pellets and wood chips. I also mix charcoal pellets in hopper.

I use a smoke tube anytime I use my 1150. I fill/pack it with pellets and wood chips. I also mix charcoal pellets in hopper.
Thanks! On your 1150 can you adjust the temp by 5 degrees or is there set temperatures you have to use?

Thanks! On your 1150 can you adjust the temp by 5 degrees or is there set temperatures you have to use?
No it's in increments of 10. Smoke setting runs at 180 then goes up in 10's till 300. Then it goes up in increments of 25 to 500 or high settings. Only turned it up that high once when I was doing my first burn in.
I never use the sear function because it's a smoker not a grill. If I want to sear something I'll light my other grill or use my track/weed torch.

Everywhere local was sold out of the laredo so I ended up getting a lockhart that was on display for less than the laredo! Just finished a burn off and going to do my first cook this weekend!

Attachments

• 20220925_195310.jpg
    20220925_195310.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 41
Well Couldn't make it to the weekend! Made some bologna with some new seasonings, mac n cheese. Also tried some smoked cheetos because why not😄!

Attachments

• 20220929_182828.jpg
    20220929_182828.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220929_193815.jpg
    20220929_193815.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220929_183827.jpg
    20220929_183827.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: tbern
Just did some burgers and turned out great had the pb at 250 and then bumped it to high to sear. This was my first cook using high temp. Once I was done I left the lid open and let it do the cool down cycle. I checked on it a few minutes later and smoke was billowing out of the hopper so I turned it on and held the prime but down. It was smoking less so I started scooping the pellets out which I am glad I took the pellet grate out. Is this backburn a common issue or is there something I can do differently
Thanks

Open the cook chamber door when you shut down so the augur doesn't get hot when the fan turns off. You don't want to trap the heat.

I left the lid open and let it cool down for a while. When I walked out to check it the fan was still on and I could see glowing pellets in the augur and smoke coming from the hopper. I turned it back on and held the prime button down to get the pellets out after a couple minutes I turned it off and it stopped smoking . Is there a way to prime without having the igniter on or fan on? It would have made this situation easier

If you're cooking at high heat, just cycle down to 300 for a bit before you turn it to off. The prime function is for when your hopper ran dry and the augur is already empty. You don't need to clear the augur, you need to not shut down from 400F+. You can safely shut down from 300F with the lid open.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky