Pitboss 1100 & after market heat diffuser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did You get a chance to read that link I posted? Also, Myself and a few posters here use the SmokeDaddy Wood Burning Heat Diffuser in our Pellet Grills from RecTec Grills to Pit Boss... Meaning some have PID Controllers and some do not. The burning wood created a major temperature issue with temps running sometimes close to 200* degrees and higher over the set point. ....

If I can chime in here with a different observation...

I replaced the controller in my new PB700 with a Pellet Pro (it too has the fire box in the middle), and I noticed that the center of the grille actually ran cooler than the end(s) where the sensor is. The new controller has total control over the fan and pulses the auger to maintain a steady temperature. This resulted in a ~30* temp difference. I will need to do a couple more smokes to determine whether the probe should be moved closer to the center of the grill. Either that, or slide the sear cover over a bit to allow more heat in.

Mark

If I can chime in here with a different observation...

I replaced the controller in my new PB700 with a Pellet Pro (it too has the fire box in the middle), and I noticed that the center of the grille actually ran cooler than the end(s) where the sensor is. The new controller has total control over the fan and pulses the auger to maintain a steady temperature. This resulted in a ~30* temp difference. I will need to do a couple more smokes to determine whether the probe should be moved closer to the center of the grill. Either that, or slide the sear cover over a bit to allow more heat in.

Mark

Interesting

Wanted to give an update. Keeping in mind that I'm only using my smoker for "low n slow" I did the following at it worked really well. Rather than trying to let the smoker keep a temp for me, I used the P-Setting and left it on smoke mode.

I fired the smoker up between 5:15 and 5:30 AM. -- P4

Around 545 (After the fire pot started) I adjusted it down to P2 -- this brought up the temp to around 200 by around 6:15 -- so the smoker has been going around 45 minutes at this point

*Its worth noting that I did not pre-heat as suggested in the manual and I've done in the past*

Around 6:30 AM I put the brisket on -- approx 13Lbs – fat side down

Around 9 AM cranked it up to P3 (I live in Socal and it got pretty hot pretty quick as the sun came up.)

Around 1030 cranked it up to P4

Around 12PM I attempted to switch it from P Smoke to 200 degrees. the heat spikes were all over the place. So I put it back to P5

Around 245 the point caught the flat and hit 165. I checked with my finger, was very tight. I went ahead and wrapped with butcher paper and put back.

The PIB has said the temp of the grill is 190-200 – but my ambient probes grate level has told me its closer to 215-225 – which is exactly what I wanted to cook at.

Cranked it to P4 to keep the heat a little higher – temp stayed pretty consistent.

Then basically sat around waiting for the flat/point to get to 200. I started probing it when the point was registering 190 and the flat 196.

Cook ended at 840 PM -- and rest started. Cut it at 940 PM – total time was 15 hours from on the smoker to cutting. The entire point of this cook was to test the P Settings, just going low n slow. My only complaint was I should have cut a little more fat off the top.

Attachments

• IMG_7951.jpg
    IMG_7951.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7950.jpg
    IMG_7950.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7948.jpg
    IMG_7948.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7943.jpg
    IMG_7943.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 99
Hey guys, just got an 1100 Pro on clearance price. I know about the aluminum pan with water (I typically have done this on previous grills anyway), however I was wondering if buying a small "deflector" that goes over the fire pot would essentially do the same thing? I'm thinking something like this: https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/k24-heat-deflector-more

Also, if you install a deflector, it makes the searing grate/function useless with a diffuser installed, correct?

Hey guys, just got an 1100 Pro on clearance price. I know about the aluminum pan with water (I typically have done this on previous grills anyway), however I was wondering if buying a small "deflector" that goes over the fire pot would essentially do the same thing? I'm thinking something like this: https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/k24-heat-deflector-more

Also, if you install a deflector, it makes the searing grate/function useless with a diffuser installed, correct?

That type of heat diffuser is not compatible with pellet grills. That diffuser is for the PB ceramic charcoal barbecue grill/Kamado Joe type grill. The type of heat diffuser for your PB 1100 Pro Series pellet grill looks like this.
Image.png

I have one similar to the one in the picture and I modified it by attaching a medal rod to it and through the grill. I can easily pull the rod attached to the heat diffuser to cover the fire pot for Low and Slow bbqing or uncover it for grilling and searing. Read post #88 on page 5.

FYI... Often times when adding aftermarket parts, some modifications will be required for proper operation and fit. Also, I don’t use the stock diffuser plate anymore, since that posting in the link. I just use the SD Heat Diffuser modified as is.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
That type of heat diffuser is not compatible with pellet grills. That diffuser is for the PB ceramic charcoal barbecue grill/Kamado Joe type grill. The type of heat diffuser for your PB 700 pellet grill looks like this.
View attachment 473109
I have one similar to the one in the picture and I modified it by attaching a medal rod to it and through the grill. I can easily pull the rod attached to the heat diffuser to cover the fire pot for Low and Slow bbqing or uncover it for grilling and searing. Read post #88 on page 5.

FYI... Often times when adding aftermarket parts, some modifications will be required for proper operation and fit. Also, I don’t use the stock diffuser plate anymore, since that posting in the link. I just use the SD Heat Diffuser modified as is.

The biggest issue(s) I can see with using these huge diffusers for me is that the drip pan just below the cooking grates won't fit in without somehow cutting (with tools I don't have) the stock drip pan, or just not using it or also replacing it altogether, which also assumed it won't fit without some modifications/fabricating.

Also (as you have done), you'd have to make it moveable to use the searing grate. This is less of an issue I suppose as typically I'll either cook low/slow with the diffuser in (without sear) or just grill at higher temps and leave the diffuser out.

I wasn't assuming the diffuser I linked above would work, but trying to find a diffuser that was small enough to fit under the drip pan and still be able to use the OEM stuff without much or any fabrication... Something like you've pictures only shorter would be the absolute best, no?

The biggest issue(s) I can see with using these huge diffusers for me is that the drip pan just below the cooking grates won't fit in without somehow cutting (with tools I don't have) the stock drip pan, or just not using it or also replacing it altogether, which also assumed it won't fit without some modifications/fabricating.

Also (as you have done), you'd have to make it moveable to use the searing grate. This is less of an issue I suppose as typically I'll either cook low/slow with the diffuser in (without sear) or just grill at higher temps and leave the diffuser out.

I wasn't assuming the diffuser I linked above would work, but trying to find a diffuser that was small enough to fit under the drip pan and still be able to use the OEM stuff without much or any fabrication... Something like you've pictures only shorter would be the absolute best, no?

That’s what a traditional pellet grill heat diffuser looks like... The height of the heat diffuser would have to be trimmed/lowered with the proper tools or a Machine Shop by 1 inch at the base and trim the top by 1/4 of an inch to ensure there is enough space for your grills flame broiler and flame broiler slider to fit and work correctly. Most pellet grill companies use a traditional heat diffuser similar to the one I posted in the picture. Pit Boss does not, they are actually using the flame broiler and the flame broiler slider as their heat diffuser in their horizontal pellet grills. In their vertical Copperhead Grills, they use a device called a “Flame Tamer”, which looks almost like a traditional heat diffuser, but is designed for their vertical pellet grills only. Google pellet grill heat diffusers for sale and see what you find. Do you need a traditional heat diffuser for your PB Grill? No, but if you want better temp control and more even heat distribution throughout your grill, then using a traditional heat diffuser is the way to go. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just took a sheet of expanded metal, cut it, bent it into a three sided frame to sit over the firepot, put a 1/4" thick rectangle of aluminum on top and tweaked the position of the aluminum block to get temps relatively even. No matter what the factory temp probe isn't going to produce a useful number because it's poorly located. I make adjustments to the settings based on what the aftermarket temp probes say the grate temp is because I position them where they should be. Rarely does the factory probe agree. It's the same as dealing with lid mounted themometers. Even if they're accurate meters it's not the same as the grate temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky