Pit Boss Vs Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Hi folks,

I have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm thinking about upgrading from my MES 30. I mainly use it for sausages (snack sticks, summer sausage and regular hog casing) and for a number of reasons I'd rather have all my surface area in one horizontal space versus the 4 racks of the MES 30.

I'm debating between the $400 Pit Boss Austin XL ( https://pitboss-grills.com/grills/wood-pellet/pit-boss-austin-xl-wood-pellet-grill ) and the $700 Traeger Pro Series 34 ( https://www.traeger.com/pellet-gril...57i39w_SbIL4x2BH0O9OZdZF2xmm0ToZoODQp82D9-maw )

They have fairly comparable specs so I'm wondering what $300 differences I'm missing. I've read a lot of reviews and they both get their fair share or positive and negative ratings. Does anyone have any insight or recommendations? I'm looking for something no more than $700 with a similar amount of cooking space, so recommendations for a RecTeq or Yoder will not be helpful 😆

Thanks guys!

You wont be able to run lower than 180 on temps during the summer with the pitboss, I have had a Austin Lx for 4 years or so, the electric is the best tool for sausages ect where you need fairly accurate temps and can start low and work upward. Mine has been great and I bought it before they started giving a 5 year warranty, Bought my son a PB 5 and I smoked 3 briskets on it 2 weekends ago and it done a fine job. lot of room on the vertical but temps are the killer if need lower than 180.

Reactions: TNJAKE
You wont be able to run lower than 180 on temps during the summer with the pitboss, I have had a Austin Lx for 4 years or so, the electric is the best tool for sausages ect where you need fairly accurate temps and can start low and work upward. Mine has been great and I bought it before they started giving a 5 year warranty, Bought my son a PB 5 and I smoked 3 briskets on it 2 weekends ago and it done a fine job. lot of room on the vertical but temps are the killer if need lower than 180.
Thanks for the feedback! Honestly I hadn't considered the 180 degree minimum temp (looks like that's the case for the Traeger too) but it's definitely something to think about since I usually start my sausages and bacon a bit lower.

I also have a Austin XL. 5yrs old with probably 1000 cooks on it. It's served me well with no complaints

I have the PB Pro1150 for almost two years. It was heavier and more solid than a traeger I looked at.
I was pretty surprised to see that the package weight of the PB was about 50 pounds heavy than that of the Traeger, for otherwise fairly similar dimensions.

Not much different these days. Traeger got bought and are cutting corners, Pit Boss has moved up market with their Platinum and other lines with PID controllers.

I bought a pit boss pro 1150 earlier this year. I had sold my rectec 700 a couple years ago and got back into offset smoking. I like my pit boss more than the rectec so obviously I would get pit boss over traeger. The pro models have the detachable ash pot so you can just pull out and dump replace and good to go. Still need to clean barrel.out every few smokes but it's much more thought out that others. I do wish there was a little more precision as far as temp selection. Its either 10 degrees or 50 outside of I believe it does have ability to select 225 but that doesn't mean grate is 225. Also the sear slots on the deflector are a pain to keep functioning as they easily get caked up with drippings and such

Reactions: JWFokker
I had an Austin XL for years before I upgraded to the recteq 790. The pit boss is very good and they stand behind the warranty. I had the controller go out from rain and they replaced it. It’s still going strong at my sons house.

As far as trader, my sister has one and I’d say the pit boss is a little better. You get the flame option with pit boss, also a better warranty. IMO with travel, you pay for the name.

You won’t be able to easily do sausage on either since the low temp is about 170 degrees. I’m actually looking for a top of the line electric for my new sausage addiction

Reactions: JWFokker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky