Pit Boss Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lilrock_72

Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
I am interested in purchasing an Austin XL Onyx. I was wondering how do you empty the pellets after a cook. Are there any issues with leaving them in the hopper. I live where the humidity is always high.

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.

EDIT: It does have a pellet dump feature if this is the one--> PIT BOSS AUSTIN XL 1000 WOOD PELLET GRILL - ONYX EDITION

Since you have high humidity, it is advisable to remove pellets from the hopper as they can absorb the moisture and swell causing feed problem.
Best to keep them in as dry a place as you can.

Reactions: JLeonard
I live in ETn and my Austin LX lives in my carport, it doesn't set out in the rain and I have never emptied the pellets out, If it sets outside uncovered it will probably log jam and wont last long, there are electronics that dont mix with water

Reactions: bill1
Hold some pellets in a strainer over a steaming tea kettle and you'll see how pellets can swell.
I too used to always empty my hopper and completely purge my auger after each use (esp in the Rainy Season) but I've found I don't need to do that, even during the rainiest weather, as long as my cooker is closed up and covered with a cheap Amazon cover.
But why not try a little experiment of your own, leaving some on a dish in your ambient climate, and see if you get any swelling? Make sure you have a nice "roof" over your experiment because direct rain will definitely ruin pellets.

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky