Pit Boss is going PID and WiFi for 2020...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RCAlan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 26, 2018
It looks like Pit Boss is going PID and WiFi for 2020... https://pitboss-grills.com/platinum-series

It was just a matter of time and a very smart business decision on their part for the tech upgrades. You either keep up with the competition or become a after thought. If they keep their prices for the Platinum Line below the competition, I believe it’s going to be a very interesting 2020 for potential pellet grill shoppers.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: Steff3
I'm not surprised by this move at all.

I guess they have decided to stop trying to promote the "wild temperature swings are actually good because they result in more smoke" sales pitch.

Looks like Camp Chef is doing the same thing. Going PID.

Nobody wants to spend the better part of a thousand dollars for a pellet grill only to have temperatures bouncing all over the place.

Many people no doubt, want true "set it and forget it" capability at some of these price points that these items sell at. I suspect that fewer customers are buying into the sales gimmick that wild temperature swings are a "feature" as opposed to a shortcoming.

Kudos to the manufacturers for recognizing this and giving customers what they want in a marketplace which is becoming more and more competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCAlan
The swings are what produce more smoke vs them staying at a set temp, the lower temps create more smoke . No matter the truth of some things $ follows the numbers in any business imo

No doubt, dollars dictate. They’re in a competitive market.

And by making this move, it also appears, or seems to indicate, that they probably aren’t too worried about an overwhelming majority of prospective customers, repeat or second time pellet grill purchasers, critics and reviewers being able to discern what, if any difference there may be in taste between bbq cookeded on a pellet grill with wide temp swings vs bbq cooked on a pellet grill with tight temperature control.

I like this change, but will be very interested to see how much their price goes up. I think it would be a mistake to get up into the Traeger price points.

Reactions: Steff3
I don't think it's unreasonable for what it is compared to the competition, but I just think that a $799 premium pellet with that tech is probably a stretch for Pit Boss. Once you get over a certain price point, I think prestige or brand rep plays a factor in the purchase. At $800, you're in Traeger, Rec Tec territory. I feel like Pit Boss's appeal is that it's mostly as good as that other stuff, but at 1/2 the price. I could be wrong though, and maybe folks will go crazy for the specs. That control panel does look pretty slick

Time will tell on the price point. Since the Platinum Line will be sold exclusively at Walmart first... and the reach that Walmart has for potential customers, I can see them initiating a price point way below it’s true value. The PB Austin XL which was exclusive to Walmart cost $499.00, but if you look on their website, their other similar Pellet Grills were sometimes $300.00 dollars more then the Austin XL, for pretty much the same grill. If the starting price is $799.00 with all the tech and upgrades, I think that’s a fair price... but it wouldn’t surprise me if the price was actually a little bit lower then that... 2020 is just around the corner, so we’ll soon find out. The Pit Boss line of pellet grills are made by the Danson Corp. which also makes the Louisiana Grills as well. I think the Danson Corp. is selling a whole lot more Pit Boss Grills then Louisiana Grills, so the Pit Boss Platinum Line doesn’t surprise me at all. If I had known earlier about the Platinum Line coming on Jan. 2020... I probably would’ve gotten it instead of doing all the upgrades to my Austin XL... At the end of the day though, all of my upgrades and mods I’ve done are solid and I couldn’t be happier.

It’s going to be a very interesting 2020 indeed for future Pellet Grill shoppers... The PB Platinum Series LockHart Pellet Grill. Just a glimpse...

And the KC COMBO...

I might have 3 pellet grills in 2020...

Last edited:
I like that griddle insert. I love cooking on flat tops, but don't want a dedicated grill that does only that.

I have 36" griddle and a Weber gas grill so the addon grill is not wanted by me but others not as lucky may like it. it would free up a small patio so its good to have choices.

Reactions: mustardsauce
Was able to find some pictures of the Lockhart version. Really like the look of it.
Screenshot_20191227-083954_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20191227-083946_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20191227-083938_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20191227-083938_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: RCAlan
I guess time will tell... If their Bluetooth setup has been throughly tested and everything works as designed, then I would think no one is going to complain. WiFi and Bluetooth both have their pros and cons... WiFi to Me would’ve made more sense as well, but if it works, then that’s all that matters in the end. That $747.00 price tag for each Grill is great considering all that’s being offered and the features of each one. Can’t wait for the reviews to start pouring in on all the Forum sites in the coming months as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky