Pit Boss is going PID and WiFi for 2020...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mearm ... Here’s a good read about PID and Non PID Controllers. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pid-controller-or-non-pid-controller.268760/

They both have their benefits, but for Rock Solid temp control, then the best option would be the PID Controller setup. Non PID Controller Pellet Grills are design to have temp swings to help produce more smoke, the down side is that many Owners would complain about wild temp swings.. Sometimes over 100* degrees from what the actual set temp was. That’s why Pit Boss is now going in that direction with PID controllers for their Platinum Series Pellet Grills to eliminate the potential issue of wild temp swings on their top brand pellet grill.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

This is a gross oversimplification and not exactly a proper description, but the easiest way to think of PID vs non-PID is that PID is a "learning" controller, where it's constantly taking in new data and adjusting, and non-PID is typically more of a preset program. A PID controller could easily adjust to adverse conditions whereas a non-PID controller will stick to its preset programming.

That said, not all non-PID controllers are the same. A non-PID controller could perform very well if the initial programming was robust. If you dig through reviews, you'll notice some grills that do not have PID controllers constantly get negative reviews about temperature fluctuations, and on others you don't see it as much. Wether the PID upgrade is "worth it" or not is just a personal choice and depends on the non-PID version you're looking at.

I really hope to see some real world reviews on this. I am very interested but not willing to be one of the first ones to get it. Looks like Walmart's ship date is 2/11/20. The cover is not going to be available for a month or so as well. I have seem some videos of the KC Combo in use but nothing for the Lockhart yet.

I really hope to see some real world reviews on this. I am very interested but not willing to be one of the first ones to get it. Looks like Walmart's ship date is 2/11/20. The cover is not going to be available for a month or so as well. I have seem some videos of the KC Combo in use but nothing for the Lockhart yet.
Look at the last post on page 1. There’s a video link for the LockHart grill in the post.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more modes... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Look at the last post on page 1. There’s a video link for the LockHart grill in the post.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more modes... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi
I have seen that but it is from pitboss..just waiting on something other then marketing material.

That is a killer price for the features on that rig. And considering walmart almost always has a sale price on grills and smokers around Memorial Day.....well.....I've got to have one of those.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky