Pit Boss Copperhead 5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

standard jones

Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Tennessee
Good Morning -

So I bought the Copperhead 5 last week and had a chance to do some ribs in on Sunday. Overall I'm pleased with this unit. Yes there are temp swings but it had no effect on the finished product. I found that the swings were more controlled running at 250*. Enjoy some pics of the ribs!
QTCP5255.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG
QTCP5255.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2187.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG

Yes it really did. I think people get freaked out about the temp swings with these types of controllers but at the end of the day its all about the finished product. No complaints so far with this unit!

I'm very happy with my Copperhead 5 as well. For the temp swings, are you going by the temps shown on the front digital panel or do you have a separate temp monitoring system? I ask because I have the swings as well, but it's not as bad as a thought. I think it's because of where they put the ambient temp probe in the smoker (down by the firebox). Mine can swing as much as 50 degrees sometimes. I finally bought a Thermoworks Smoke system and started measuring the ambient temp up on the racks, and noticed that there is really not a temp swing up there at all.
Seems like they put the probe in a bad spot to me.

I'm very happy with my Copperhead 5 as well. For the temp swings, are you going by the temps shown on the front digital panel or do you have a separate temp monitoring system? I ask because I have the swings as well, but it's not as bad as a thought. I think it's because of where they put the ambient temp probe in the smoker (down by the firebox). Mine can swing as much as 50 degrees sometimes. I finally bought a Thermoworks Smoke system and started measuring the ambient temp up on the racks, and noticed that there is really not a temp swing up there at all.
Seems like they put the probe in a bad spot to me.

I have a thermpro wireless thermometer that I put on the lowest grate I had ribs on. Set at 225 I was seeing anywhere from 180-240. I ran this way for about an hour then switched to 250 and it would run from 220-265. It was a little on the windy side and probably never got up to 50 degrees that day.

I think the location of the built in temp probe is not the best as well. What temp do you like to run yours at?

Nice ribs and congrats on the new smoker.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm really looking forward to doing a brisket on this. Put on and midnight and let it go till done. Unfortunately I have a crawfish boil to attend this weekend so the brisket will have to wait!

I have a thermpro wireless thermometer that I put on the lowest grate I had ribs on. Set at 225 I was seeing anywhere from 180-240. I ran this way for about an hour then switched to 250 and it would run from 220-265. It was a little on the windy side and probably never got up to 50 degrees that day.

I think the location of the built in temp probe is not the best as well. What temp do you like to run yours at?
It really depends on what I'm cooking, but I use 225 and 250 most often. Like you, I also noticed that 225 seems to have the largest swings.

You might want to look at Bears sig file ‘Step by Step’ and hit the link to avoiding annoying temp swings on an MES. It deals with the lagging over-runs on both the way up and way down ... like the gradually dampening oscillations of a spring ... probably has some analogous application to any grill temp controller without PID function

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky