Pit Boss 820 need lower temps!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bumrush

Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
Guys my 820 even on the 200 degree setting is getting my smoker around 260ish? I know my digital temp probe is off by about 30 to 40 degrees. Could this be the problem?

Ok, so here's my experience with the Pitboss 820.

I once started a brisket about 11pm one weekend. I figured it would be close to done around 2 or 3pm the next day.

This was my 3rd long cook on it. I've used it at higher temps, and it always did nicely. But i never have enough time to set it, and watch what it does.

So, I see it to smoke, put my P-Setting at 6, and polished off the few remaining beers I had left. I think I was kinda lit by this time. But, I do remember seeing the temp at 190 and fluctuate up to 210, so i'm thinking i'm good to go, as I'm used to my MasterBuilt 40" having about the same temp swings.

Off to shower and bed I went. I got up around 7:30 or 8. Got dressed, and looking at my Maverick wireless temp probe, I was shocked to see that the meat was only at 135. I thought the wireless had lost signal, so when I went out, I was expecting the brisket to be ready to wrap in butcher's paper.

Uuummm.....no. it was indeed at 135, and the temp of the smoker was steady at 140.

In a panic, I cranked that shit up to 300. And worried about getting sick from food borne illnesses.

The brisket plowed through the stall, and by 10:30 it was 170, so I wrapped it up in paper. By 12, it was at 200, so I probed and it was ready. Pulled it, added another layer of B.P., and threw it in the cooler.
By 2pm ,I was slicing it. And by The Gods, it had a massive smoke ring (which does nothing) and a great bark. My wife said it was the best I've ever made, and proceeded to slice her brisket WITH THE GRAIN. For some reason she likes it that way.

Anyway, fast forward a month, and i'm smoking buffalo wings for me and my neighbor Jenny while we drink and talk. And as an experiment, I did the same.....SMOKE setting, P-6. And sure enough, after 20 minutes or so, it settled down to 140, with plenty of smoke. I'm sure I can get it a little lower at P-7, but I haven't had time to test it yet.

20180603_150620.jpg

Here's the finished brisket I accidentally cooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky