Pineapple Ham with Bacon Cheese Scalloped Potato Dome (I was asked to make it for MIL )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
We had our Thanksgiving Dinner Saturday, Was asked to cook 2 Hams and make the Bacon Cheese Scalloped Potato Dome again
Sorry I know I just made this for the first time back in Aug. But was asked to make it by my MIL, and I always do what she asks. Which is not very much.

So baked 2 hams Total size was 17+ pounds, baked , cooled than sliced nice thick slices.
Made a Crushed Pineapple glaze/sauce poured over top of Ham and reheated in the BBQ

Edit = ( After doing up the post , realized forgot to take some of the main pictures, I suck )

1.JPG 2.JPG
3.JPG 4.JPG 6.JPG

While this was being done I made my basket weave bacon and put in the fridge while getting the potatoes ready.
Mixed a can of cream of celery soup and 1/2 can of milk and ground pepper in large bowl and added the sliced
potatoes to the mix. Let soak while I cooked up small cut bacon and onions for inside the Dome.

7.JPG 8.JPG
Place the bacon weave into the bowl, Add a layer of Mozza Cheese to cover bottom and sides. Add layer
of the potatoes, a layer of the cooked bacon and onion mix. Keep adding layers until the bowl is filled. Fill
the bowl up and mound it in the middle to help it from sagging later.

9.JPG I don't know what happened I though I had pictures of the stacking process and of it in the oven.

While it bakes for 2 hours have the ham on the BBQ at 350 with only the 2 outside burners on , so as to bake also again.
Cut up fresh pineapple and fried in the pan the bacon was in , just for garnish

10.JPG

Took potato Dome out of the over , removed from the cook bowl , by flipping upside down ( or back upright ) depends on how you think of it
And placed on a wire rack and back in the over to brown and crisp the bacon shell
All was ready just in time I was told Also had Brown sugar corn niblets, pork based stuffing, saved some glaze/sauce to add to plates if needed.
And of coarse regular, pickles , tomatoes and cukes

11.JPG
12.JPG

After this everything must have just went to hell as I did not take anymore pictures again. So once everything was cleaned up . I realized what I did not do .
So after Mona gave some leftovers to her brother to take home there was not much of the potato dome left . But I pulled it out of the fridge and took a couple of shots
not as good when i first sliced it ( it was still nice and round and high) even on the plates . ( the Dome is the size of a large dinner plate )

13.JPG

14.JPG

So I guess you can see the layers , but not hot or juicy and the mozza is not stretchy either.

Well thanks for looking , can't believe I forgot the important pictures. Oh and there was pie also....gee I suck lol

David

I don't know about that David. The sliced ham with pineapple would make me real happy right off the bat, and it's obvious whatever was under that bacon weave had to be something special. That's one of the great aspects of doing what we do, even if things don't work out exactly as you hoped and planned they still might taste pretty darned good. I'd like to have some beans with that pineapple ham, now I'm hungry! And pie, y'all had pie with that too! What kind of pie? You're killing me. RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I don't know about that David. The sliced ham with pineapple would make me real happy right off the bat, and it's obvious whatever was under that bacon weave had to be something special. That's one of the great aspects of doing what we do, even if things don't work out exactly as you hoped and planned they still might taste pretty darned good. I'd like to have some beans with that pineapple ham, now I'm hungry! And pie, y'all had pie with that too! What kind of pie? You're killing me. RAY

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment

Thanks, it all turned out pretty good ,
but I must have lost my mind when it was all cooked. Just never took anymore pictures
until supper was over . That's why I added the last couple pictures of the scalloped potato
dome, ( under the bacon )now it was cold and flat. :emoji_upside_down:
And the usual pies Apple and Pumpkin and whip cream

David

You did good! Don’t be so hard on yourself!
Everything looks good!
LIKE!

Thanks Justin for the like and the comment
I know I should not be , but just Pi$$is me off that I got caught up in the moment , and ate supper at supper time instead of pictures ... lol:emoji_yum:
Everyone enjoyed and took home leftovers

David

Looks good to me. Must of been a good size gathering. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks Brian for the like and the comment

You would think so by the amount of ham I cooked , MIL asked me
to cook lots so they could take home extras, that way she did not have to cook herself tonight
There was only 7 counting me. Everyone full and happy

David

David it looks amazing so stop beating yourself up. There's not a one among us who is perfect and gets it right every single time. You put together an amazing meal at the request of a family member that you obviously think the world of. There's all the merit you need for this meal. Excellent job sir!!

Robert

🤣💪That was an amazing amount of effort for a beautiful outcome! Great work! You had me guffawing with your comments on lacking pictures. You’re in the trenches, no worries, happy you shared what you did and I’m sure you’re family appreciated it even more!

You are right Robert, just bugs me Because I really thought I was perfect ... :emoji_smiling_imp: :emoji_smiling_imp: :emoji_smiling_imp:

everyone love the meal, and thats what matters most
Thanks for the like and the comment

David

🤣💪That was an amazing amount of effort for a beautiful outcome! Great work! You had me guffawing with your comments on lacking pictures. You’re in the trenches, no worries, happy you shared what you did and I’m sure you’re family appreciated it even more!
Thanks for the like and the comment

Like I was just telling tx smoker tx smoker ( Robert ) just bugs me that you know what you wanted to do but
in the heat of the moment, the food took over and I ate instead ha ha

It all turned out great , but will fire the photographer

David

You are right Robert, just bugs me Because I really thought I was perfect ...

Look at it from this standpoint David. There's only been one person in history that was perfect and I'd rather not suffer the same fate as him. Based on that, I can easily live with my imperfections :emoji_wink:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky