Pig shots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

klutzyspuds

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Central WI
With being cooped up int the house this weekend with the whole safer at home order in effect here in Wisconsin, and the fact the weather was not very nice for too much outside with over an inch of rain, I decided to make some pig shots, or pork shots, whichever you prefer to call them.

This is only my second try at these, and although the first batch turned out alright, I wanted to try them a little different this time. The first time was a store bought kielbasa, and some good Wisconsin cheeses, like Colby/Jack, and Pepperjack.

This time, I had bought a good beef/pork ring bologna from my local butcher that I have all my fair animals sent to for butchering. And for the filling, mixed an 8 oz block of cream cheese with about 8 oz of a good jalapeño jelly that I got from the local grocery store. After mixing the cheese and jelly together, I put it in a ziploc bag and stuck it back in the fridge to stiffen back up for a couple hours. Then, once the shots were made up, I cut the corner of the bag and squeezed out the needed amount into each one to fill them up..

Note: this mix being kinda soft any of the bacon wrapped that did not stay closed did allow to melt and drip out, leaving a bacon wrapped sausage with very little topping, but still ok.

I was a little concerned with this topping concoction, as I have had the two together, but only as a quick cracker or tortilla chip topping similar to salsa, or a dip type where the jelly was just poured over the top of the cream cheese. For these, I actually took a whisk and whipped the two together before adding to the shots.

As I stated above, ring bologna, wrapped with Patrick Cudahy applewood smoked bacon, topped with the jalapeño jelly cream cheese. They were on the smoker at 275* for 90 minutes, and the bacon was nicely crisp.

They turned out really well. The topping was a little sweet, but the kick from the pepper in the jelly was nice and mellow. I think a kielbasa might add a little extra zip, but the bologna was good with the sweetness of the cheese.

The bologna all cut and wrapped waiting on the filling
9DF62267-5E4F-4977-9058-AD5CA4BCAE84.jpeg

The filling being added
7D5DCB51-D77F-41DF-AC0C-7DEFF72120E2.jpeg

The pig shots ready for the smoker.
FC68F9EB-8197-4D47-998A-62DB4E2EBC67.jpeg

This was the jelly I used
D90AD018-DD94-4C2C-98AE-2537F55972EA.jpeg

Finished product.
C1A1A4CC-F8D3-4CAF-85AB-E2CD8C6FC3B0.jpeg

Two of my favorites - Pork shots and PBRs. That a winning combo right there. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks guys.

If theres one thing I’ve learned here, it’s that if I’m interested in how to make something, others are as well, so explaining the process you used is best. That and I can go back and review what I did.

Mark

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky