Pig Roaster Build Help Needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wickers48162

Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
SE Michigan here...looking for advise on building pig roasters...
I recently obtained a project that I'm anxious to fished for a B-day celebration in May. This 200 gallon tank measures 32" x 60", has hinges mounted, drain in the bottom & exhaust ports on top. I want to install propane burners, but don't know what I need. I think I want to mount a couple 30 lb. tanks to the front for fuel. Please help! Eventually, I'll install a rotisserie as time permits....

Attachments

• 20210410_170221.jpg
    20210410_170221.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: JC in GB
Are you trying to install pre-made burners or wanting to craft them yourself?

I saw a poster here that made his own burners for a Santa Maria grill. I can't remember his name.

This may be just what you are looking for. Making a home made burner is not that difficult with some basic tools.

A drill press would make the chore even easier.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: PPG1 and SmokinEdge
JC...ty for your reply. If I could fab them myself, I'd love to.....never thought about that....any idea about hole size & spacing for I assume a high pressure propane system?

I want to install propane burners, but don't know what I need.

I've converted several smokers to propane. Big question: are you looking to have propane as your heat source and have smoker wood in a pan above the burners for smoke or are you just looking to use the propane as a fire starter for logs? My current smoker is what's known as a T-Pit. I have 2 low pressure 6" burners in the bottom of the firebox. There is a rack sitting over the burners that I put a stainless steel pan on with the smoker wood in it. The propane is run through a micro adjustable needle valve so temps can be regulated down to a degree or two of exactly where you want them to be. If you're using portable tanks you'll need to run high pressure burners. I converted two previous offset smokers to run the same way as the T-Pit but they were hooked to tanks and high pressure burners.

You can see the gas line coming in from the left, the knob for the needle valve directly under the vent, and beautiful TBS. This works like a dream.
100.jpg

The burners, rack, and stainless steel pan with the smoker wood in it
094.jpg

Got a nice brisket going
102.jpg

096.jpg

My target temp when I'm doing briskets is 275. You can dial in in and it'll pretty much sit there all day.
101.jpg

I saw a poster here that made his own burners for a Santa Maria grill. I can't remember his name.

There may have been somebody else that has done the same thing but I did post this after I got it all done.
043.jpg

040.jpg

The level of flame is adjustable with the valve. This is wide open
045.jpg

Getting ready to fire it up
046.jpg

Hope this helps at least a little bit....
Robert

Attachments

• 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 39
I've converted several smokers to propane. Big question: are you looking to have propane as your heat source and have smoker wood in a pan above the burners for smoke or are you just looking to use the propane as a fire starter for logs? My current smoker is what's known as a T-Pit. I have 2 low pressure 6" burners in the bottom of the firebox. There is a rack sitting over the burners that I put a stainless steel pan on with the smoker wood in it. The propane is run through a micro adjustable needle valve so temps can be regulated down to a degree or two of exactly where you want them to be. If you're using portable tanks you'll need to run high pressure burners. I converted two previous offset smokers to run the same way as the T-Pit but they were hooked to tanks and high pressure burners.

You can see the gas line coming in from the left, the knob for the needle valve directly under the vent, and beautiful TBS. This works like a dream.
View attachment 493511

The burners, rack, and stainless steel pan with the smoker wood in it
View attachment 493512
Got a nice brisket going
View attachment 493514
View attachment 493515
My target temp when I'm doing briskets is 275. You can dial in in and it'll pretty much sit there all day.
View attachment 493519

There may have been somebody else that has done the same thing but I did post this after I got it all done.
View attachment 493520
View attachment 493516

The level of flame is adjustable with the valve. This is wide open
View attachment 493517

Getting ready to fire it up
View attachment 493518

Hope this helps at least a little bit....
Robert

tx smoker tx smoker yes, this was the post I was thinking of.

Some great ideas here already to help with a pig roaster build.

JC

tx smoker tx smoker yes, this was the post I was thinking of.

Some great ideas here already to help with a pig roaster build.

JCI
OMG.....you guys are awesome! Since visiting earlier in the day, I've found out that I could build my own pipe burner, as long as the propane/oxygen venturi is available to purchase. Sadly, they are not, so I'm kinda lean back towards my original thoughts of using 3 (for the lack of the correct term) turkey pot burners. This kinda goes with TX"s idea of using a ss pot above them to place wood chips in. It also sounds like a high volume regulator would be required. Of course, I'd fab deflection trays so the grease wouldn't drip onto the burners....

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky