Pig lovers and breeders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr good

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Ilbilbie Qld. Australia
Tongue in cheek,I am pleased to announce the arrival of our first litter of Berkshire piglets. Six female and two male for a first litter, very good. All well and barely containing ourselved waiting until about June. For those who are interested in this fantastic animal just log onto "Berkshire Pigs "and you will get plenty. It is said to be the wagyu of the pig world,but that probably wont mean a lot to some. For all, I hope you like the pic.

dr good havent seen you around in a while glad your back. Thats a mighty fine looking litter ya got there.

ms, thanks mate, been on the road pretty heavy. Think that is all over now and back to retirement. Yep nice lotta hogs as they say in another wonderful part of the world. Have two more gilts to breed with yet.watch this space.

Talk about food pics .. is this legal? J/K dr good.. you must be a proud Daddy. Thanks for the pics

Can't wait to see em in the smoker

Keep Smokin

dr good

Hello there...Glad to see ya back around...Hope your holidays were good as well...congrats of the addition to the family...just don't start naming them...LOL...
Later

cajun_1 . still trying to find Idaho in my mind, perhaps mid west near Kentucky? Will look it up later.Potatoes??. Like the look of the coming soon, 'smokerator" I might get a few hints from you.

Congratulations. PM me so I can tell where to send the cigars. Havana's I hope.
I don't breed them. We buy from a local Amish breeder or hunt them. Nothing better than an early Spring wild boar. So tender and lean. Can't wait till March.

Great news here. Have orders for three 'spit pigs' so will be "allowed" to do an extra. At last some more fresh pork to temp the Smokerator.

Congrats DR,

Used to raise the little devils myself. Bought a Duroc boar to go with 6 gilts my uncle gave me. Had some great litters of pigs. Lots of trouble to mess with though.

G,day dr good .
just thought i would drop in a reply , and tell you i have had a few dozen litters and the good news is the novelty never wears off not for me any way the fun of watching the little blokes in there first few months is better than any tv show for entertainment value . warning very hard not to become attatched to them . the only way is to have a fair few at a time ,and i am sure there will always be a couple that you just dont want to kill. what happens is there is one that stands out from the rest and you just rekon she or he will be to good a breeder to kill , and so you keep it and so the snow ball starts .

Gidday Johnno, Telling the cook that I haven't been to Texas since I took an old mate there about 20 year ago, to meet his old mate called Norton. They were doing a bit of painting there in the 50's. I heard that the pub went a bit yuppie. Anyway, Johnno, no worries about the pigs here mate. You are right though about watching the buggars. Like goldfish in a "bowl". Can watch them for hours. We are the end user in the food chain and it don't bother us none at all. I don't like doing it but it is a job that just gotta be done. It is the same with a young steer. This lot we have hand reared and same story,food chain mate as you know. Anyway, I have Berkshires, and if you have an interest, send me a PM and perhaps we can have a yarn. We have had 26 inches in the last 14 days. Sorry. They are a bonza mob on this show so stay tuned.

Yeah , landrace x large white with a bit of wild thrown in i think . they are starting to get a bit hard to grow out now i think i have to much inbreeding going on . litters are getting smaller and pigs take a lot longer to reach size .what i need to do if i am going to keep breeding is get a new boar form unrelated stock . i would love to get some gloustershire old spot pigs but there just is none at all in australia and no chance of bringing any in either .i got rid of my boar cos of the inbreed problem so i dont have one at all now , have 6 sows one is to old to breed from but she stays she is my old very first pig . any way see how i go with building smoker if that works out i will be getting another boar . more insentive to keep pigs .see what happens .
see ya

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky