Piedmontese Beef Ribs, Scratch Mac, and Dutch's Baked Beans... Winning!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Alright y'all! Finally got a break in the holiday / end of year action to sneak another cook in... And am I ever mad I waited this long to get to this one! tx smoker tx smoker , thank you yet again for the Piedmontese buy in option. These ribs were amazing! On to the details...

Cook Details:

Date: 12/22/19
Meat: Piedmontese Beef Ribs
Rub: Pitfaced On Point
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: Lumberjack Comp Blend with some in a smoke tube as well
Style: Low and slow and nekkid!
Temp: from 215°F to 265°F
Spritz or Spray: Spritzed hourly with water for the first 4 hours until stall
Cook Time: 8.5 Hours
Rest Time: 1 hour... ish... haha. I was hungry!

Pics (comment on top):

I didn't have to trim anything off the rack as the top fat cap was thin and soft fat. Simple enough! I doused with Wooster Sauce and then liberally applied some On Point rub with a touch of extra pepper... can't go wrong there!

full

I let these sit overnight in the fridge for their morning date with the smoker. They went on around 07:00 before my 08:00 Tee time :emoji_grin:

full

After a few hours and spritzing off and on

full

Added in a batch of Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. Thanks again Dutch Dutch ! Linked to his thread.

full

I made up some Mac and Cheese while everything was resting and topped with some butter toasted panko.

full

Plated and ready to devour!

full

Tender, Flavor packed and just oh so good!

full

Final Thoughts:

They took right around 8.5 hours. I started them off at 215°F before golf because I didn't want them to cook fast while I was away. When I got home I bumped the pit to 250°F for a couple hours and then up to 265°F for the last leg. I ran nekkid and no wrap the whole cook. Barq was the goal and Barq was obtained! The flavor was amazing. Lots of pepper with a slight savory finish to it. It paired extremely well with the beef. As for the Piedmontese Beef... again, it scored very well! very tender and packed with deep beef flavor. I got resounding agreement face stuffing sounds from my wife and friend. Best compliment is silence due to eating so much! I have another smaller rack of these that will be going on at some point soon to chase this cook. Too good to not do again.

Cheers Y'all and happy holidays!

TL;DR

I made beef ribs y'all!

Thanks for the quick reply, Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan ! I have a brisket in the smoker right now, and had been planning to just mop it occasionally, but spritzing seems like it would be much better, as less rub would come off. Thanks, again.
No problem. I just set it to wide spray and not jet stream :emoji_grin: It has served me well. Good luck on the brisket!

Reactions: katemail13
Wow those beef ribs look so good Zach! That’s a plate of beauty right there.

Looking forward to trying out some Piedmontese beef, most likely after the holidays. Sadly, no beef ribs though.

Like!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Wow those beef ribs look so good Zach! That’s a plate of beauty right there.

Looking forward to trying out some Piedmontese beef, most likely after the holidays. Sadly, no beef ribs though.

Like!
Thanks Xray. They were worth the wait. I haven't been disappointed with any cuts yet.

Wow Zach....excellent job my friend. You certainly did those monster ribs proud!! I may have to send the link for this to Joe at CPB for him to take a look at. Absolutely love the sides!! Next time I do BBQ I gotta make a batch of those beans...man they look great. I really LIKE what you did with that dinner my friend, that's for sure. Side note though....I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another case of the ribs and we need to talk. I now have access to full 103 cut rib sections. You may wanna take a look if you're not familiar but I promise you'll want in on some!! None available until after the holidays but I'm on the list and will definitely be ordering one...or two :emoji_astonished: It's the full untouched 7-bone (ribs 6-12) primal cut, right off the cow and the butcher has done nothing with it. There are several different wonderful cuts that come with the 103, and it's CHEAP for what you're getting.

Can't wait!!
Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Wow Zach....excellent job my friend. You certainly did those monster ribs proud!! I may have to send the link for this to Joe at CPB for him to take a look at. Absolutely love the sides!! Next time I do BBQ I gotta make a batch of those beans...man they look great. I really LIKE what you did with that dinner my friend, that's for sure. Side note though....I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another case of the ribs and we need to talk. I now have access to full 103 cut rib sections. You may wanna take a look if you're not familiar but I promise you'll want in on some!! None available until after the holidays but I'm on the list and will definitely be ordering one...or two :emoji_astonished: It's the full untouched 7-bone (ribs 6-12) primal cut, right off the cow and the butcher has done nothing with it. There are several different wonderful cuts that come with the 103, and it's CHEAP for what you're getting.

Can't wait!!
Robert
Thanks Robert! They were amazing and I can't wait to do them again. anything to butter the operations between the CPB getting to me I'm in for! :emoji_laughing: The Mac and Beans have become very common staples. If I'm Q'ing, the wife expects both. I used to play with bean recipes looking for my own but once I found Dutch Dutch Recipe, I haven't gone back. so good.

As for the 103 cut, I had to re familiarize myself with them. you know I'm in, just keep me posted :emoji_thumbsup:

Hope y'all have a good week with the holidays and all is well!

Reactions: Dutch
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky