PID and heating element?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

$mok!ng

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 12, 2019
NE Michigan
I have a MES 30 smoker and have been toying with the idea of a PID controller. I dont need to be sold on the need for the PID as I am familiar with masterbuilts faults. My question is a lot of people (generally everyone) recommends a Auber PID with a much higher wattage rating than what my heating element is rated for. I think my heating element is a 800w element. So why do I need a PID rated at 1400+w?

Reactions: JC in GB
I have the 1510 on a MES 30 . I believe the 1510 is 1500 watts . You can use it for other things besides the MES , or maybe in the future you'll have a different smoker with a higher wattage element . It's a great controller .

Reactions: poacherjoe
I have the Auber WS1200 controller and I use it on my SmokinTex 1460 electric smoker to control the temperature when I make sausage etc. I can make 6 separate programs on it and when I turn it on it does the rest. No need to sit around and watch the temperature. This one I believe is designed for 800 watt burner's. Go to Auber's website and you can find the exact information you are looking for by calling them and speaking to a tech. Good luck

You don’t need 1400Watts for a 800Watt element but I look at it this way, nobody complains of too much horsepower but an underpowered engine will have lots of complaints being too gutless. Chopsaw has a valid point, down the road you might need that power.

I have a MES 30 smoker and have been toying with the idea of a PID controller. I dont need to be sold on the need for the PID as I am familiar with masterbuilts faults. My question is a lot of people (generally everyone) recommends a Auber PID with a much higher wattage rating than what my heating element is rated for. I think my heating element is a 800w element. So why do I need a PID rated at 1400+w?

You don't need a 1.5 kW controller to run an 800 W pit.

I have an MES Pro series that I use with my Black Cat PID controller. No bells and whistles just steady reliable temperature control.

The standard Black Cat controller can run 1250 Watts. More than enough to run your MES unit.

PM me if interested.

JC :emoji_cat:

Auber WS-1510ELPM can draw 1,200 watts indefinitely without reducing the output from 100% with no overheating issues with the exterior heat sink it comes installed with. If lower borderline amp PIDs are used make sure it cycles within an hour or look up the parameters for your model's output and max duration at 100% output before heat ends the life of the PID or SSR.

Reactions: chopsaw
You don’t need 1400Watts for a 800Watt element but I look at it this way, nobody complains of too much horsepower but an underpowered engine will have lots of complaints being too gutless. Chopsaw has a valid point, down the road you might need that power.
What happens if you run a 1400 watt PID and an 800 watt element?

I'm not an electrician , but common sense tells me that overheating of the PID would be likely . I was replying to the 800 watt question. So I don't have an answer based in fact for this .

Reactions: dr k
It is good electric engineering practice to over rate any component. Simply put the component with the lowest wattage is essentially the weakest link. Think safety factor, lifetime and reliability.
If a car has a maximum speed of 100 mph, will it last longer be safer if you run it at 50mph or 100mph.
, which is better a 1 gallon pail or 5 gallon? I hope this helps

RG

What happens if you run a 1400 watt PID and an 800 watt element?
1800watts/120 Volts=15 amps. Our house is wired for 15amps. on all the receptacles, so in your case at my house you’re at the limit. Toss in an extension cord you might start tripping breakers. Watch for heat by touching the plug end at the wall. The 1400watt PID would be beyond the 1800watt element, I don’t know how the PID would react but I would suspect heat buildup which in a worse case scenario COULD result in a fire. I would suspect that you would be shortening the life of the PID by pushing it to the limit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky