• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

PID and heating element?

$mok!ng

Joined Apr 12, 2019
I have a MES 30 smoker and have been toying with the idea of a PID controller. I dont need to be sold on the need for the PID as I am familiar with masterbuilts faults. My question is a lot of people (generally everyone) recommends a Auber PID with a much higher wattage rating than what my heating element is rated for. I think my heating element is a 800w element. So why do I need a PID rated at 1400+w?

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I have the 1510 on a MES 30 . I believe the 1510 is 1500 watts . You can use it for other things besides the MES , or maybe in the future you'll have a different smoker with a higher wattage element . It's a great controller .

poacherjoe

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 7, 2019
I have the Auber WS1200 controller and I use it on my SmokinTex 1460 electric smoker to control the temperature when I make sausage etc. I can make 6 separate programs on it and when I turn it on it does the rest. No need to sit around and watch the temperature. This one I believe is designed for 800 watt burner's. Go to Auber's website and you can find the exact information you are looking for by calling them and speaking to a tech. Good luck

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
You don’t need 1400Watts for a 800Watt element but I look at it this way, nobody complains of too much horsepower but an underpowered engine will have lots of complaints being too gutless. Chopsaw has a valid point, down the road you might need that power.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I have a MES 30 smoker and have been toying with the idea of a PID controller. I dont need to be sold on the need for the PID as I am familiar with masterbuilts faults. My question is a lot of people (generally everyone) recommends a Auber PID with a much higher wattage rating than what my heating element is rated for. I think my heating element is a 800w element. So why do I need a PID rated at 1400+w?
You don't need a 1.5 kW controller to run an 800 W pit.

I have an MES Pro series that I use with my Black Cat PID controller. No bells and whistles just steady reliable temperature control.

The standard Black Cat controller can run 1250 Watts. More than enough to run your MES unit.

PM me if interested.

JC :emoji_cat:

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
I have a MES 30 with the Auber PID. When the heat element went south, I swapped it over for the element that the MES 40 uses--the extra wattage in the bigger element sure made a nice difference. If I had bought a lower wattage PID, I wouldn't have been able to do that.
Gary

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
You won't be sorry . Keep us posted .

dr k

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 22, 2013
Auber WS-1510ELPM can draw 1,200 watts indefinitely without reducing the output from 100% with no overheating issues with the exterior heat sink it comes installed with. If lower borderline amp PIDs are used make sure it cycles within an hour or look up the parameters for your model's output and max duration at 100% output before heat ends the life of the PID or SSR.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.