Picture and a question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gunslinger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Here's the chicken I smoked today. As I told you all in the newbie area, I am working on some changes to my home built mixer truck water tank smoker, but I couldn't take it any longer, so I improvised since I already started making the changes.
Chicken was brined in salt, sugar, cayenne, lemon juice, garlic and onion powder, then mopped with real butter and creole seasoning. I smoked it with an oak base and hickory at 250 degrees for 3 1/2 hours. It was fantastic, dripping with juices, and so tender. The best part; I get all the breast because all my family prefer the rest. Second best part; I'll smell like the bird until I shower this evening. Maybe I'll just go to work like this. To bad someone doesn't make a smoked smelling deoderant.
Anyway, on to my question. I've been smoking meat for years and all the smoke terminology is new to me because I just never have discussed it with anyone. What is a "smoke ring?"
Thanks.
0b9b9527_vbattach11003.jpg

That's some good looking yardbird Gunslinger 8)

The smoke ring is that kind of red or brown line that comes into the meat from the skin side.

Gunslinger

Great looking bird!

A smoke ring is that thing on your finger!

It means you are hopelessly married to smoking :lol: :oops:

Copied from another source...

A smoke ring is the result of a reaction potassiums and sodium nitrates in the smoke, with oxmethyglobin in the meat. This reaction forms nitrosaminoglobulins, which is what gives the pink color of the smoke ring. Nitrosaminglobulins are also what cause the pink color of cured meats, which have nitrates artificially added during the curing process.

Red meat has quite a bit of oxmethyglobin in it, but white meat, such
as poultry does not. This is why it is difficult to get a smoke ring
on the outer portion of a chicken. Bone marrow contains a lot of oxmethyglobin, which is why you see the red color by the bones in smoked poultry. Kind of a reverse smoke ring

This chemical reaction will typically stop forming at a meat temp of about 140°, but the meat will continue to take on smoke flavor beyond that.

Nice looking bird... looks mosit and tender.. Great Job DeerMeat.. Thanks for sharing the pics ..

JamesB, Thanks for the info, Some folks that don't eat much BBQ chicken don't understand about the meat of the bird close to the bone turns a redish, pinkish color and think that the bird isn't fully cooked when infact it is .. If the meat pulls cleanly from the bone and when the juices run clear your bird is cooked properly.. again.. Thanks for the info.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky