Picnic shoulder (pulled pork) Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrench3047

Original poster
I started a shoulder this morning on a Drum smoker. Total weight was 9.68lbs on package, first piece of pork on this cooker. I have had a couple of setbacks already this morning, but one i would like to ask advise and opinion on. I started later than I wanted, so i sliced about a 3lb chunk off the side to have two pieces(one should be ready for dinner). In ya'lls expert opinions could there be issues cooking for 1.5 hrs chopping it in two then finishing the cook?

ca6f6b50_IMG016.jpg

Personally I don't see a problem with it

Reactions: wrench3047
It seemed to not be an issue.
45a6be07-064b-b88c.jpg

I'd show a pic of it pulled and enjoyed but it was gone before I could wash my hands. I have the larger piece finishing up in the oven now. Maybe I'll get more than a taste of that one.

I tried one of the "finishing sauces" I saw on here somewhere today. Can't remember who's it was or where but it was 1/2 c apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1/2 c ketchup. My kids flipped for it, my 7yr old asked to have a roll with just the sauce. Thanks gentlemen! Hope you all enjoyed your Memorial Day.

Thanks, the larger piece is now complete. Its good, I have to say that I like that finishing sauce almost as much the pork. I won't be using the drum cooker til I make some mods. The only mishaps today were caused by design flaws. I'll just say the cooking grate isn't as stable as I would like it, and it should warrant hazardous duty pay to retrieve a big chuck of meat from a coal basket in the bottom of a hot drum. :what::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wish I could remember or had saved the post. I regret not being able to give someone credit but, try...

1/2 c apple cider vinegar

2 tbl spn brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1/2 c ketchup

I'm pretty sure the recipe started with warm the vinegar to dissolve the brown sugar. Then mix the rest once brown sugar is dissolved. 

I let sit a few hours in the fridge while the pork was cooking to let the flavors meld. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky