Pickled turkey gizzards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has ever made these before. I have been wanting to try making them for several
years but could not source any gizzards until the other day. Anyways, I’m sure most of you older guys remember seeing
these sitting in the big glass jars on the bar at your local dive, right next to the jar of pickled eggs. That is what I was after.

I kept it simple, I simmered the gizzards till they were very tender, placed them in a crock added a bouquet garni of
pickling spice and used a standard, vinegar, water, and salt brine. The same one I use for my dill pickles, without the dill
of course.
here is a photo of them right after the brine was added, with the spices ready to be weighted down, I guess we will see in a
Week or so how they turned out.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
CDAD3B55-16F3-4E97-9020-7B04CBB11B70.jpeg

Looking to see how these turn out! Sounds good. Was just thinking today... how pickled, smoked deer heart would be

Ryan

Looking to see how these turn out! Sounds good. Was just thinking today... how pickled, smoked deer heart would be

Ryan
Pickled deer hearts and tongues are great. I had an old guy who lived next door and when some one got a deer he always asked for the tongue, nothing else.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Poultry Gizzard, Heart and Liver, the special Chef and the Boys treat. As soon as the Dogs see me Prepping a bird, they gather, around knowing what's coming. The interesting part...Mom couldn't PAY ME to eat that stuff as a kid. Now, I love it all.
BTW, for you skeptics. Once trimmed and cooked tender, with eyes closed you would swear you were eating slightly more coarse dark meat. However, Gizzard are more flavorful. They are great eating....JJ

Gizzards breaded in seasoned flour( pepper and what ever else you want) lightly browned in cast iron skillet then put in Dutch oven with a little milk and cream of mushroom soup and simmered over coals for several hours...mmmm, turns out so tender in their own gravy sauce. Disappear very fast

Ryan

Never seem them next to the pickled eggs up this way. Pickled sausage yes. But not these. I imagine they taste fine. But good lord they look nasty!

I think they could have come up with a better Name. Breasts, just makes you want to get your Hands on them! Popping a Gizzard in your mouth? Not so much...JJ

Now that's funny! I started laughing and whole family looked at me wondering WTH. Would have put a laughing emoji in place of thumbs up but don't know how

Ryan
Do a mouse over on the image next to the LIKE It gives you 4 options for an image in the reply. I gave you a laughing face like

, just makes you want to get your Hands on them! ...
funny, but explain that one to a grandchild sitting in your lap?

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Thanks fueling, now I got it but using my phone so probably a little different. No mouse here

Ryan

funny, but explain that one to a grandchild sitting in your lap?

You are embarrassed to tell your Grandchild 99% of the folks in the US and I, eat FRIED CHICKEN with our hands??? We are in a Poultry Forum here. What were you thinking of???...JJ :emoji_chicken:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky