Pickled pig feet : QUESTION ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
I am curing a few pigs feet right now and was planning on doing a hot smoke and then pickle them with some red wine vinegar. Has anyone out there done this? Any information appreciated. I am assuming it is similar to canning vegetables which I do every year, jest never done with meat especially pork feet.

HT

I've seen them boiled until tender. Then rinsed to remove any loose fat. And placed in a salt and vinegar brine. Haven't seen them cured and smoked first. Though I don't see a problem with it as long as they are fully cooked before putting them in the jar.

I've seen them boiled until tender. Then rinsed to remove any loose fat. And placed in a salt and vinegar brine. Haven't seen them cured and smoked first. Though I don't see a problem with it as long as they are fully cooked before putting them in the jar.
That's is what I was thinking. DaveOmack gave me an idea in one of his post to sous vide arounf 200* to take care of any botulism that may be present. Then into the frig to cool then use the 3:1 of 5% vinegar for brine w any spices. Thats what I am leaning towards.

That's is what I was thinking. DaveOmack gave me an idea in one of his post to sous vide arounf 200* to take care of any botulism that may be present. Then into the frig to cool then use the 3:1 of 5% vinegar for brine w any spices. Thats what I am leaning towards.

Sounds good to me. I haven't had pickled pigs feet in a long time. And that was a jar of Hormel pigs feet!

Reactions: hoity toit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky