Pickled Peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Second batch of the year, did the first in July. I switched to a sweet brine a few years ago but upped the ante with the little bird style peppers. Haven't grown the same kind twice so they're a little different every year. The sugar knocks down a lot of heat, but those little mofos pack some punch. This years bird pepper is called "basket of fire" found it at a local nursery. The label claimed 80,000 scoville units. Anyway, the whole thing is a mix of Jalapeno, Serrano and the fire bombs, all grown in the yard. Normally I get a very nice balance between sweet and hot. I'll probably do the next batch as straight hot with little to no sugar.

This is enough for 9 pints once sliced, and that's all the canner will hold so perfect!
20210905_085404resize.jpg

Never had it happen before, but one jar broke in the canner so we're only getting 8 today. Thanks for looking and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

20210905_112429resize.jpg

Looks good. Beware of Peter Piper who prowls the earth looking for a peck of pickled peppers!
Enjoy!

Reactions: mr_whipple
Second batch of the year, did the first in July. I switched to a sweet brine a few years ago but upped the ante with the little bird style peppers. Haven't grown the same kind twice so they're a little different every year. The sugar knocks down a lot of heat, but those little mofos pack some punch. This years bird pepper is called "basket of fire" found it at a local nursery. The label claimed 80,000 scoville units. Anyway, the whole thing is a mix of Jalapeno, Serrano and the fire bombs, all grown in the yard. Normally I get a very nice balance between sweet and hot. I'll probably do the next batch as straight hot with little to no sugar.

This is enough for 9 pints once sliced, and that's all the canner will hold so perfect!
View attachment 509815

Never had it happen before, but one jar broke in the canner so we're only getting 8 today. Thanks for looking and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

View attachment 509816
Looks good, we love making pickled peppers and adding peppers to our pickles.

- Jason

You even have pepper outlet covers .
Those are gonna be good . I did some in the fridge . Found a jar that got pushed to the back of the beer fridge . They ripened in the jar .
I need to learn the actual canning method .
Nice hall you have there .

Those look great. I have those fire bombs growing all over my yard. We put one or 2 in a whole pot of chili. I do pickle jalapeños & may put a few fire bombs in there too. I got drunk with a friend of mine & we just ate a whole one each right of the bush, I thought I was going to die & we really like heat.
Al

Years ago a friend gave me a jar of pepper sauce made with those little peppers. It would for sure bring a tear to your eyes!
Jim

Nice batch of pickled peppers, I did not get a chance for any peppers this year. But I still have 1 bottle
of my Jalapeno relish from last year
Love doing different kinds of canning, doing all my pickles in the next week or so, another month apples and grapes should be ready
for some processing

David

Looks good. Beware of Peter Piper who prowls the earth looking for a peck of pickled peppers!
Enjoy!
He comes around here after me lucky charms he'll be none to happy when I'm done with him!!

Looks good, we love making pickled peppers and adding peppers to our pickles.

- Jason
I occasionally do fridge pickles.

You even have pepper outlet covers .
Those are gonna be good . I did some in the fridge . Found a jar that got pushed to the back of the beer fridge . They ripened in the jar .
I need to learn the actual canning method .
Nice hall you have there .
Those outlet covers are from an old girlfriend of mine. Paper towel holder and a big peeper cookie jar also! Canning is easy. simple rules to follow. The hard part is slicing all the damn peppers.

Those look great. I have those fire bombs growing all over my yard. We put one or 2 in a whole pot of chili. I do pickle jalapeños & may put a few fire bombs in there too. I got drunk with a friend of mine & we just ate a whole one each right of the bush, I thought I was going to die & we really like heat.
Al
I did the same with these a month or so back. Had to test them .... I don't remember if I was drunk or not but I do remember the burn.

Years ago a friend gave me a jar of pepper sauce made with those little peppers. It would for sure bring a tear to your eyes!
Jim
I'm trying to save some up to make hot sauce and a jar of spicy vinegar but I don't think the one bush is gonna make enough peppers.

Hell yeah! I will take one of those. Had one break than started use rack and has not happen again.
i use a rack, but my guess is the jar was cracked to begin with and I didn't notice.

Nice batch of pickled peppers, I did not get a chance for any peppers this year. But I still have 1 bottle
of my Jalapeno relish from last year
Love doing different kinds of canning, doing all my pickles in the next week or so, another month apples and grapes should be ready
for some processing

David
Thanks! I just gave away the last jar from last years stockpile.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky