Pickled Peaches

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
I was just at the local sprawl mart picking up a whole chicken for the rotisserie later and came across these pickled peaches. They looked to have red pepper flakes in with them. Can't say Ive ever had them, and I'll usually impulse purchase stuff like this but I'll be damned at almost $9 for the jar. Anyone ever pickle peaches? I'm heading to the farmers market shortly, so we'll see what they have, but Harris Teeter has peaches for $1.49/lb so maybe they'll get the nod if I decide to do this.

20220806_083308.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Hmmm......Looks interesting. But like you, I'm slow to spend money on something I'm not sure about.
Jim

No experience with pickled peaches. My thought is why waste a really good, sweet and juicy, peach.
I'm with you as I love peaches, but it's somewhat intriguing to me. Farmers market peaches are 3.49/lb so those aren't happening.

It might be something fun to try with the hard-as-rocks off season peaches, but I wouldn't do it with mine from Fredericksburg right now...

Had a peach tree at my previous house. After you eat all you can you still have tons left. I brandied mine and they were killer. Rum cinnamon clove orange peel. Busted them out at holiday parties... Good times. I have been meaning to try and make my Dad's pickled watermelon rind. He also pickles green tomatoes.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
We pickle peaches. They are delicious. Not what you are thinking by traditional pickling standards. It's a ton of sugar mixed with water and a splash of vinegar. They are extremely sweet with a slight tang. Jar liquid is basically a syrupView attachment 639808View attachment 639809
Care to share a basic recipe? Ive looked at a few and most involve either ginger or cloves and cinnamon flavor profiles.

Thank you! I'll check that out in the afternoon tomorrow after fishing.

Not what you are thinking by traditional pickling standards. It's a ton of sugar mixed with water and a splash of vinegar.
Those sound and look great, Jake Book marked , in case I ever find reasonable priced fresh peaches around here

$1.49/lb so maybe they'll get the nod if I decide to do this.

Hope you give this a try. And let us know

I love canned peaches , eat them couple times a week , as they are too expensive around here for me to pickle or can my own

David

If you're talking to me then yes
Yes pickled with vinegar or yes fermented? I'm curious about the taste of fermented peaches, since I've incorporated peaches in a pepper sauce ferment I've got going. I'm trying to imagine a "peach" flavor without the sweetness, which is what I'd expect if they are fermented.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I just don't think I could pour vinegar over good fresh peaches.
That said I had something kind of like it but very different seems they put peaches in a jar and poured something called fire water or shine or something like that into the jar with the peaches and sealed it up then you opened it and drank the liquid but instead of pickling the peaches it seems this pickled the drinker :emoji_laughing: seems I remember them doing about the same thing using apples and cinnamon sticks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky