Pickled Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I've bought pickled onions in the store many times. But a small jar cost 3.00
So.........

_DSC9053.JPG

Basic recipe.
Whole small onions. Pearl onions are the best.
1 tsp pickling spice
1/2 tsp dill seed
fresh dill
1/4 tsp Alum
Above items go into a quart jar.
For the brine I used 2 cups cider vinegar with 1 tbs pickling salt.
Once the brine got boiling. I added 2 tbs of Balsamic vinegar into the jar. For color.
Then topped of with the brine.
Vac sealed and resting.

Reactions: crazymoon
I meant to have the title say "Pickled onions" Sorry about that. Can a Mod correct that?

At first I thought you had quail eggs in the jar . Like the onion idea .

Heck yeah! Gotta love some pickled eggs, onions, pickles, pigs feet and more.

I'm halfway or more through my last batch of Hot Pickled Eggs, I'd start another but have a lack of fridge space.

My project fridge is getting a touch crowded as well. After tomorrow it will be even more so with the batch of jerky and snack sticks I'll be doing,.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe, I see you’ve been busy pickling lol!

I like pickled onions. I usually pickle sliced red onions to use as a topper for salads, burgers and tacos. There’s a jar available at all times

Thanks for the recipe, I see you’ve been busy pickling lol!

I like pickled onions. I usually pickle sliced red onions to use as a topper for salads, burgers and tacos. There’s a jar available at all times

I was thinking about doing that as well. They might even give a extra zing on pizza.

Reactions: xray
I've bought pickled onions in the store many times. But a small jar cost 3.00
So.........

View attachment 393058

Basic recipe.
Whole small onions. Pearl onions are the best.
1 tsp pickling spice
1/2 tsp dill seed
fresh dill
1/4 tsp Alum
Above items go into a quart jar.
For the brine I used 2 cups cider vinegar with 1 tbs pickling salt.
Once the brine got boiling. I added 2 tbs of Balsamic vinegar into the jar. For color.
Then topped of with the brine.
Vac sealed and resting.

They look great. Do they have to be refrigerated?

I like them cold too, just if I made a bunch keep, one in the fridge, the others in a cabinet to save refrigerator space.

Ah, that I wouldn't do. These aren't shelf stable to that level. Having one jar out for a week or two should be fine considering the salt content. But for actual storage outside the fridge. Then I would do the actual canning process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky