Pickled Eggs (Lazy Bear Method)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Way to go Bear, another great reminder to reuse/repurpose/recycle!  You really are a teacher, just without the headaches and the paycheck!

hit.gif

Keep on teaching!!

Thanks Gary!!

I gotta try some of those other things too, like Heat & Dill.

The only other store bought jars of juice I ever tried was eggs in leftover "Vlassic Bread & Butter Pickles", and they weren't good at all.

Bear
On this point, was it a matter of personal taste you didn't like the Bread & Butter pickle vinegar or was there some reaction in the combination that created a foul beast, not suitable, unless you like kimchee?  I've got a jar of Farman's Bread and Butter Cucumber Chips about finished and a bunch of ready to peel eggs and an itch to try it, using the different strokes for different folks rationale.

~Dave

Great BearView :)

I am going to have to try them
77.gif
Thank You Col. !!!   Good to see ya!!

Long Time!!!  How you been??

Bear

Way to go Bear, another great reminder to reuse/repurpose/recycle!  You really are a teacher, just without the headaches and the paycheck!

Keep on teaching!!
Thanks Frosty!!

Funny---I was once asked to be a Cabinetmaking Teacher, but I told them my nerves couldn't take the worrying about some kid running his hand through the shaper or some other meat eater!! I was sure I'd blame myself!!

Bear

On this point, was it a matter of personal taste you didn't like the Bread & Butter pickle vinegar or was there some reaction in the combination that created a foul beast, not suitable, unless you like kimchee?  I've got a jar of Farman's Bread and Butter Cucumber Chips about finished and a bunch of ready to peel eggs and an itch to try it, using the different strokes for different folks rationale.

~Dave
Hi Dave!!

The Bread & Butter Pickles we get around here are sweet.

The eggs soaked in their juices were very bland, without much added flavor at all.

I still want to try some in the leftover juice from a jar of Dill Pickle Spears.

Bear

Not to butt into the thread, but pickled beets are pretty easy too. You can start with beets fresh from the garden, but I cheat a little. The grocery around the corner recently had Freshlike "Baby Beets" for $.88/can. 3 cans with the juice in a half gallon Mason jar, then boil together 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 2 cups white sugar, and 3 or 4 tablespoons pickling spices till the sugar dissolves and cool. I throw in a few crushed red pepper flakes for some kick. Add that to the beets already in the jar and stick them in the fridge for overnight or longer, they'll keep indefinitely. You can eat the beets first or transfer some of the juice to another jar and make pickled eggs right away. This makes plenty of juice. If you don't like beets just make the vinegar mixture and add a couple cups of water to make a pickling juice. I've seen people add regular yellow mustard to that mix... As with anything the sky is the limit!

Last edited:

Hi Dave!!

The Bread & Butter Pickles we get around here are sweet.

The eggs soaked in their juices were very bland, without much added flavor at all.

I still want to try some in the leftover juice from a jar of Dill Pickle Spears.

Bear
I've wondered about the Claussen Hot n Spicy dills... I can't eat the pickles, the ones I tried were way to hot (and I like spice)! The eggs might tone that down...

Last edited:

Not to butt into the thread, but pickled beets are pretty easy too. You can start with beets fresh from the garden, but I cheat a little. The grocery around the corner recently had Freshlike "Baby Beets" for $.88/can. 3 cans with the juice in a half gallon Mason jar, then boil together 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 2 cups white sugar, and 3 or 4 tablespoons pickling spices till the sugar dissolves and cool. I throw in a few crushed red pepper flakes for some kick. Add that to the beets already in the jar and stick them in the fridge for overnight or longer, they'll keep indefinitely. You can eat the beets first or transfer some of the juice to another jar and make pickled eggs right away. This makes plenty of juice. If you don't like beets just make the vinegar mixture and add a couple cups of water to make a pickling juice. I've seen people add regular yellow mustard to that mix... As with anything the sky is the limit!
sound good but I am a pickle fan these have been sitting in my fridge since veterans day Nov 11th will give them a couple more weeks. They have onion, Jap peppers and cayenne peppers. they are going to be tasty,,,,, you can by the big jars of pickles at wally world for 4.50 or so. 

I give them a good shake every couple of days. 

DS 

I came across a recipe a while back, I dont remember where I found it but  take a large jar of bread and butter pickles and strain the juice untill they are fairly dry, mix a large bowl of sugar with a small bottle of your favorite hot sauce with the sugar, layer pickles then sugar, pickles, sugar, you get the picture untill the jar is filled, turn daily and wait (if you can) for a couple of weeks, when I put them out for company they are gone in minutes, everyone raves about them, another idea I found is put boiled eggs in a large jar and fill with your favorite vinegar bbq sauce, I use georges hot, add some pickling spice and you will soon have some excellent eggs. Bonz

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky