Pickle brine wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
So...... I finally did the pickle brine on some wings.... I did a mustard rub and the last few minutes I brushed them with a mustard BBQ sauce... These were great. I did get some of the pickle flavor. It went well with the mustard....
I did them on the kettle over direct heat and then over to the side to finish up.

But I have a question.. Anyone ever use brine from other pickled foods? Jalapenos? Olives?
Might be something to try.
0801212058.jpg
0801212135.jpg

Thanks for looking! And I'm curious to what other pickle brines anyone has used.

Good looking wangs! I've used the juice off of a jar of Jalapenos before. Got a little heat from it, but not overpowering. And its good to see you back. Hope all is going well.

Jim

They look good, never made pickle brine wings so no help here with other brines but will be watching may have to give them a try.

Those wings look great . Nice work .
. Anyone ever use brine from other pickled foods? Jalapenos? Olives?
All the time . Jalapenos , pepperoncini , the hot vegetable mix . They all work if you like the flavor . I usually mix jalapeno with dill pickle juice .
My son just brought home a fried dill pickle dip from Deans . Man that stuff is addicting .

They look great!!! With pickle brine, it doesn't take long to impart flavor, the longer you go the more intense it will be. When I do Chick-Fil-A tenders for my daughter, about 30 min is enough.

Yup! Pickles, olives, jalapenos so far. Your wingies look fantastic!I have only ever done the pickle with skinless boneless breast an was mind blowing each time. Really turned my opinion around on breast meat! I do like to brine overnight and I use a vacuum seal container to really get the juices in there. Very flavorful, and super tender, but I wont say the pickle is overpowering. Now Im curious about a comparison with meat with skin on it- especially wings like yours!
BIG like!

Those look quite tasty. I been going through a lot of pickle brine for that rye bread. Starting to get jars of pickles with no juice in them.

Mushy isn't a word I would use to describe an overnight breast pickle from my experience. I would say "fork tender". Still firm enough so that you can pick them up without falling apart and eat them like a chicken strip to dip in bbq sauce, ranch, honeymustard, or whatever. A 24 hour pickle may be a bit excessive, but I haven't tried that tho. I'll try a 3 hour too Chop and see.
A pickled Carolina sauced (honeymustard) wing sounds really good to me!

Wings look great. Have not tried Pickle Brine yet. My Wife keeps throwing out the jar with the brine. I use my Brine with Vinegar, Buttermilk or Yogurt most of the time to marinate chicken....JJ

Good looking wangs! I've used the juice off of a jar of Jalapenos before. Got a little heat from it, but not overpowering. And its good to see you back. Hope all is going well.

Jim
Thanks Jim! I have some more wings in the freezer and a jar of jalapenos just about gone. I might be those this weekend. I'm sure Ryder would love the jalapeno flavor!
They look good, never made pickle brine wings so no help here with other brines but will be watching may have to give them a try.
Thanks Jim!
Those are fine looking wings. How long was the brine in pickle juice?
I was not sure of it at first... Did a 2 hr brine... Turned out great!! Just enough of the pickle flavor and it definitely made them juicy!!

Those wings look great . Nice work .

All the time . Jalapenos , pepperoncini , the hot vegetable mix . They all work if you like the flavor . I usually mix jalapeno with dill pickle juice .
My son just brought home a fried dill pickle dip from Deans . Man that stuff is addicting .
Thanks chop!, the hot veggie mix would be good i think! And I'm a huge fan of pepperoncini! I'll have to give that a try as well!... Never seen the dip from dean's I'll have to look for it!! I bet its awesome!!

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks tasty! Totally trying this pickle brine soon. Very good points on how long since the brine is quite acidic. Another part is salt/sodium content. The pickles we get are 290mg sodium so brine is approx 2.59% salt if I ran that right. Timing brines is not easy for me. Seems like a dilution might be in order for both acidity and salt at longer brine times. Maybe 50:50.

Last edited:
Looks delicious Travis and glad to see ya again. Love me a pickle brine. I go 2-4hr. Never longer than 4. We had pickle brined bacon wrapped breasts last night. I also do some ribs that get jalapeno juice and peach juice in the wrap step. They are delicious
Screenshot_20210806_110024.png

Never seen the dip from dean's I'll have to look for it!! I bet its awesome!!
They just came out . A bunch of new ones , but he brought home the fried pickle and Nashville hot chicken .

Very good points on how long since the brine is quite acidic. Another part is salt/sodium content
Yup . I didn't want to get to far off track , but the ones I talked about overnight were just at the start of mushy . Really white at the thin edge ( starting to " cook " ) I have had good results overnight , but don't always use the same brand pickles . So like you said the salt most likely varies and has different effects .

Travis , I'll have to try this on some chicken legs , can't afford wings .
I have a mustard sauce I can use .

They look great!!! With pickle brine, it doesn't take long to impart flavor, the longer you go the more intense it will be. When I do Chick-Fil-A tenders for my daughter, about 30 min is enough.
I definitely got the pickle flavor after 2 HR on the wings...
Yup! Pickles, olives, jalapenos so far. Your wingies look fantastic!I have only ever done the pickle with skinless boneless breast an was mind blowing each time. Really turned my opinion around on breast meat! I do like to brine overnight and I use a vacuum seal container to really get the juices in there. Very flavorful, and super tender, but I wont say the pickle is overpowering. Now Im curious about a comparison with meat with skin on it- especially wings like yours!
BIG like!
I might have to try some breasts. I'm usually a thigh guy.......but I could see how this would improve the white meat a ton!
Those look quite tasty. I been going through a lot of pickle brine for that rye bread. Starting to get jars of pickles with no juice in them.
Thanks Brian! I dont have that problem here. My boys love pickles for snacks! Lol! And Ryder eats the jalapenos like they are going out of style!!
They look Great from here, Travis---As Always!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear!!
View attachment 506862

Wings look great Travis!
Thanks they were awesome!
Wings look great. Have not tried Pickle Brine yet. My Wife keeps throwing out the jar with the brine. I use my Brine with Vinegar, Buttermilk or Yogurt most of the time to marinate chicken....JJ
Thank JJ! The yogurt sounds like a fantastic idea. Might have to try that out too!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Travis , I'll have to try this on some chicken legs , can't afford wings .
LOL Me neither. Drums are my go to but honestly gonna be pretty tough to beat cured drums in Pops low salt. I am jonesing for a grilled chicken sandwich and the pickle brine sounds perfect for that. I pound em flat, sear, and do lettuce, tomato, mayo.

• Love
Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky