Picking up my first pellet smoker tonight!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WILL1E

Original poster
Sep 4, 2018
Appleton, WI
Hello fellow smokers!!

Came upon your forum when researching pellet smokers and it seems like a good bunch of folks so i thought i'd join!

Well, i plan on picking up my first pellet smoker after work today!! I've been researching them for awhile now. Was looking at the Cabelas unit until they went through the redesign, which after research sounds like it went a step back vs. forward. Then was thinking about the Traeger which is what i thought i was going to end up with until i started reading about the Camp Chef brand. So after a bunch of reading, an irresistible price tag of $399 and 1 left in stock at my local Dicks, i'm making the leap!

I've been a Weber guy from day one and have to many Weber's to list, but my smokey mountain has been my primary rig. My main reason to get into pellet is the set it and forget it model. I have my smokey mountain pretty dialed in, but it still needs babysitting on those long overnight smokes especially as the temps swing in fall and winters here in WI.

My one concern with the pellet smoker is that i won't get the same deep smoke flavor i could with my weber. I usually burned briquettes with a couple large chunks of local cherry wood. Sounds like i won't get that with the pellet. So is the Amazin smoke tube my best bet? If so, which Amazen product (tube, tray, etc.) works best in the Camp Chef unit?

Thanks for listening!

Matt

Welcome to the forum!!! I believe you'll enjoy the Camp Chef. They make a good product for the price.

First, the bad news. Food from a pellet smoker will not taste the same as food from a stick/charcoal burner.

Good news. The food can be just as good. The smoke flavoring should only be one element of the flavor profile and many would argue it should NOT be the dominant flavor. The smoke should work in concert with the rub, brining (if any), injection, etc. Many competition teams are winning with pellet smokers so trained judges agree.

The key to a deeper smoke flavor is to cook at lower temps, cook in "smoke mode" for a couple hours before cranking up the temp to your desired cooking temperature, and/or using additional smoke generating tools like the AMPS products. I think you'll find the final product just as good as that coming from your Weber's but just a little bit different.

Let us know how your first smoke goes in the Camp Chef.

Thanks 'Dude!

So is it possible to get the same sort of bark that i can get with my smokey mountain?

Also, any tips for the first burn/seasoning?

is it possible to get the same sort of bark that i can get with my smokey mountain?
Absolutely yes!!!! I get great looking and tasting bark out of my pellet smoker. As far as seasoning, I would fill my hopper with pellets (your choice), turn the temp up to 400 and let it smoke for at least an hour. The flavor of the pellet doesn't matter all that much for seasoning.

I second the above ^^^^^^^ All of it. I suspect you will really like your new Camp Chef Pellet smoker. They are truly game changers for sure. Some of the "purest" roll their nose up at them but I have cooked on a lot of devices and I absolutely love my pellet pooper. It will not replace a wood smoker but you are cooking with wood and it is virtually set it and forget it. Temp control is where its at. I hope you enjoy your new pellet smoker as much as many of us enjoy ours.

And so the journey begins!!

$360 before tax.
Was surprised to see the 3yr warranty. I thought it was going to only be 1yr based on all the reading I did.

Attachments

• 16576E4D-E68A-4D4A-9518-248A65C8A3C1.jpeg
    16576E4D-E68A-4D4A-9518-248A65C8A3C1.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: chopsaw
I purchased a Camp Chef DLX in early spring. I have a WSM that I have been using for around 13 years. While I do really enjoy the ease and simplicity of the CC, it is very different from the WSM. I do not get anywhere near the bark on my CC (I use the Hi Smoke setting which likes to run around 220-225 on my DLX and is a bit lower temp than I run on my WSM) that I get on my WSM on butt cooks. I do not wrap my butts, and the bark that I get on them from the CC would more closely resemble the bark I would have on my WSM if I had wrapped to get through the stall. So, if you usually wrap at the beginning of the stall on your WSM, it will be similar. If not, the bark will be lighter and not as set.

FWIW, my WSM usually settles in somewhere between 235-250, using the Minion method, with six fist-sized chunks (three apple and three hickory) on the surface and a few smaller chunks buried half way through. I have decided that I like butts off my WSM more than the CC. However, it does appear that I use more chunks than you, and cherry is much lighter than hickory, so you may not notice much difference.

That being said, I really like the cooker. It is a rib machine using LJ 100% Hickory, and it cooks everything else really well. I have decided that the combination of the WSM, 22" Weber Performer (for steak since I don't have direct sear), and CC DLX is unbeatable.

Sorry I'm not a pooper(no advice), but wanted to say congratulations on your new toy and welcome to the club.

Chris

Welcome to SMF!
Congrats on the new rig, just don't sell the WSM yet!
Al
Don't worry, i still have 4 webers on my patio right now plus 3 more in storage! I could probably part with some of the kettles, but deffinately not my WSM (unless the CC blows my mind).

Got the new toy assembled last night, but ran out of time for the burn-in process. So that's on the top of the list for this weekend.
Was quite surprised by the quality and heft of the unit (never seen one out of the box before). Was quite surprised to see that the gap on my lid is 1/8" compared to the 1/4" or larger that alot of people have noted.

Attachments

• IMG_0434[1].JPG
    IMG_0434[1].JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0435[1].JPG
    IMG_0435[1].JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 88
I just entered the pellet smoker world myself. About a week before you. Smoked some burgers and a butt this weekend. Not sure about the claim above that it doesn't taste the same as other types of smokers. Both came out amazing and I couldn't tell a difference. But then again maybe my palate isn't as sophisticated. All I know is that 5 out of 5 neighbors (plus my wife) agreed that it was all delicious. Plus, the butt smoked while I was at work. Came home at lunch to check it but nothing needed to be done. Never been able to do that before! I think you'll enjoy this purchase!

I just entered the pellet smoker world myself. About a week before you. Smoked some burgers and a butt this weekend. Not sure about the claim above that it doesn't taste the same as other types of smokers. Both came out amazing and I couldn't tell a difference. But then again maybe my palate isn't as sophisticated. All I know is that 5 out of 5 neighbors (plus my wife) agreed that it was all delicious. Plus, the butt smoked while I was at work. Came home at lunch to check it but nothing needed to be done. Never been able to do that before! I think you'll enjoy this purchase!

Reactions: texomakid
I've never had any problems getting a good bark on any long cook on my Camp Chef Woodwind. No doubt, pellet poopers don't get as much "smoke flavor" as stick burners but they do impart "smoke flavor" on whatever you're cooking.

Like you, I had a slight gap but filled it with the felt liner material I had on the lid of my BGE. I lost all use for my BGE once I received my Woodwind so I sold it and haven't looked back since. I love its versatility and ease of use. For those "purists" that think it's "cheating" or somehow not "real smoked meat"...well...haters gonna hate. People are using pellet poopers in major competitions all across the country (and winning with them) so they definitely have a seat at the BBQ table. Smoke on, good sir. Congrats on the new toy. You'll definitely enjoy it and the food that comes off of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky