Philadelphia Scrapple

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmk3921

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Bethlehem, Penna.

PHILADELPHIA SCRAPPLE

11/2 Lbs. Pork Shoulder
1/4 Lb. Pork Liver
4 Cups Water
1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
1/4 cup Finely Chopped Onion
1/8 Tsp. Ground Cloves
1/4 Tsp. Ground Thyme
1 Tsp. Ground Sage
1 Tsp. Ground Marjoram
2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

Simmer meats in 4 cups of water until meats are done, drain broth and reserve.  
Grind meats.
Combine cornmeal, salt, 1 cup of cold water and 2 cups of broth.
Cook stirring until thickened.
Add meat, onion, spices, cover and simmer 1 hour, stir occasionally so as not to burn on bottom.
Pour into a loaf pan and chill over night.
To serve, slice 1/2 inch thick, dip in flour and fry till crispy on both sides and serve alongside eggs of your choice and topped with either maple syrup or apple butter and toast. 

*****COLD smoke scrapple loaf for 30-40 minutes*****

Last edited:
Grew up on the stuff in Boyertown PA.......

Fried with syrup or ketchup.
Yup---Ketchup for me.

They sell some real good Scrapple at Zern's in Gilbertsville (locally pronounced Gilbertswill, dunt cha know?).

Bear

Have smoked scrapple before, came out really good. I smoked a pound package, let it sit in the fridge for a few days wrapped up, then fried it up for Sunday breakfast. I thought it was great, the other half didn't. Too bad for her.

No pics.....didn't happen!
icon_razz.gif

I love scrapple but make my own version with pork shoulder and smoked sausage.  Yours sounds excellent jmk... Thanks for the recipe!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I do love scrapple. I like to make scrapple hash - throw a slice on a flat top, saute up some dices onion,,, chop up the scrapple, mix in the onions, throw in a scrambled egg or two, top it all off with a little cheese... put the whole thing on a roll - yum.

I love scrapple but make my own version with pork shoulder and smoked sausage.  Yours sounds excellent jmk... Thanks for the recipe!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Cowgirl, I have made your recipe and it is awesome!!  I get it all to myself as no one else in the family will eat it even knowing what the ingredients are. I think I need to rename it Pork loaf or something....lol

Jeff

Reactions: cowgirl
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Cowgirl, I have made your recipe and it is awesome!!  I get it all to myself as no one else in the family will eat it even knowing what the ingredients are. I think I need to rename it Pork loaf or something....lol

Jeff
lol Jeff... good idea! We need to rename it. lol....pork loaf works for me!
biggrin.gif

I'm so glad to hear you liked my version. Thanks!

Jmk, I would love to hear more about your family recipes... I'm sure they are killer.
cool.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
Jeanie, I'll dig up the bacon recipe that was brought over from Hungary by my grandfather, lots of celery powder,Hungarian hot paprika and other spices. Also the gyulai (Hungarian sausage) recipe. You guys are the best here, I feel more at home every day.

John
John it sounds wonderful!  I bet that the bacon and sausage are really killer.
cool.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
Bear, I haven't been to Zern's in years, I didn't know they were still around. I used to go to the car auction back in the day when "Dopey Duncan" was still around.

Yup--Zern's is still there!

I used to get Smoked Pork Chops, Dried Beef, Bacon, & Beef Sticks there----LOL---We all know why I stopped doing that.

Bear

Well Jeanie, here is the bacon recipe, I have to get it translated---
confused.gif
it's in Hungarian. From what I can figure out, it's for 50 kilo's of pig and uses  three HEADS of garlic---WOW! I'll work on it. If anyone can translate this HEEEEEEEELLLLLP---lol
hissyfit.gif

Also known as GYPSY BACON

50 kilo szalonna (pig)
8-10 kanal piroa paprika (tablespoons hot paprika)
5 kanal caraway seed (tablespoons)
10-15 baber level(bay leaves)
3 fej fokhagyma(heads of garlic)
1 kis csomag sellery poder(celery powder)
egy kis fuszer uveg bors
1/2 pound mustar seed (mustard seed)
5 pound so(salt) osze keverni es beletenni a szalonnat es benne tartani 3-4 hetig
kivenni utanna hagyni egy fel napig szikkadni
lassan hideg fustel fustolni probald meg kisseb adagban mivel en nem vagyok 100% ebben,
sok szerencset
ez ahogy en emlekszem ra hogy hogyan szoktuk csinalni

You can eat it cold sliced or put it on a stick over the campfire till the fat starts to render and let it drip onto some good hearty rye or black bread and wash it down with dark beer or muscatel wine.

Ain't this something--best I am able to do with this
 John it sounds wonderful!! I belong to a Dutch forum and am getting pretty good at translating things. lol  (accept for the time I described cooking an old boot. lol ) 

Thank you so much... your recipe sounds delicious!

this is what google translate came up with. it doesn't really add much

50 pounds lard (pig)
Kanal 8-10 pyro peppers (hot peppers tablespoons)
Kanal 5 caraway seed (tablespoons)
Baber level 10-15 (bay leaves)
3 heads of garlic (heads of Garlic)
1 small package sellery poder (celery powder)
a small bottle of pepper spice
1 / 2 pound mustard seed (mustard seed)
5 pound so (salt), mixed and put in the autumn of fat and keep it for 3-4 weeks
taken out after him to leave for a day to drain
cold-smoke slowly try to smoke in lower doses because I am not 100% about this,
good luck
I remember this as to how I usually do

Listen

Read phonetically

[h3]Dictionary - View detailed dictionary  [/h3]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky