Pheasant Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Digging through the deep freeze I found 4 pheasant left over from last season. I decided that jerky was the way to go. I trimmed out the "shot-up" meat and managed to get 4 trays of pheasant. I went with mesquite because it was the last pack of seasoning I had...time to reorder from Owens BBQ!

Here are the pics...

We started turning our pheasants in for processing...hard to beat what they do for the price.
IMG_9506.jpg

All trimmed up.
The breasts and thighs were easy but the drumsticks were difficult - think turkey drumstick.
IMG_9507.jpg

Owen's BBQ has some great jerky mixes.
My faves are original, mesquite and hickory.
I doctor up the mixes from there by adding garlic, chipotle, cayenne, etc.
For the pheasant I went with straight mesquite.
IMG_9508.jpg

I managed to get 4 trays from the 4 birds.
IMG_9517.jpg

Note the shrinkage...I didn't measure but I believe 2/3 of the moist-weight was lost.
This batch was a little on the crunchy side but still very tasty.
It lasted 10 minutes at the office.
IMG_9520.jpg

Looks awesome! Can see why it was gone so soon! Good to see our pheasant numbers back up here!

Ryan

Reactions: uncle eddie
Looks Great, Eddie!!
I'd starve counting on Pheasants for Jerky, around my neck of the woods!! Plenty of Deer, Bear, Rabbits, Turkeys, and Squirrels, but the cackle of a Ringneck is a very strange noise in my woods!!
Like.

Bear

That's some good looking jerky Eddie. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

I'm not sure I would have had any left to take a pic if I were making that! Nice work!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky