Peruvian Tri-tip and Jalapeno poppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
I was ready to try out the PID controller on my pellet smoker.

smoke_daddy_pid_controller.jpg

I decided to smoke up a tri-tip Peruvian style. While I was at it I made some Jalapeno poppers.

Smoked Peruvian tri-tip

Large tri-tip

1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Smoked Paperika
5 tablespoons brown sugar
5 tablespoons extra virgain olive oil
5 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons lime juice

cut the tri-tip into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" cubes
blend the ingredients then marinade for at least 30 minutes
smoke at 270* until internal temp of 145*

Smoked Jalapeno poppers

5 large Jalapenos
Sour Cream
Italian cheese mix
Sharp Cheddar cheese
Bacon

2023_01_17_smoked_tritip_001.jpg

2023_01_17_smoked_tritip_002.jpg

2023_01_17_smoked_poppers_001.jpg

2023_01_17_smoked_poppers_002.jpg

2023_01_17_smoked_tritip_003.jpg

Heck yes! Tri tip is so good! The peppers look mighty inviting as well!

Ryan

Everything looks like it turned out great! Did the pid controller work good for you?

The controller worked well. I would have liked to measure it against my meat thermometer for comparison but the batteries in it were severely corroded.

I really like the idea of put crumbled bacon on top instead of wrapping. I will be trying that.
Every bite is like a warm hug to your taste buds.

I actually made some last week in the oven and ran out of cream cheese. I used sour cream on the last few and they tasted way better that way. That is why I posted it this way. Yes the bacon does help it.

The Tri tip also came out great. Cutting it into cubes makes sure each piece is cooked to perfection. I have cooked it that way on my bbq pit many times, this is the first time I have tried it on my smoker.

Some good looking vittles right there. Well done

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great! I like to mix my bacon into the filling for the peppers. Not near as difficult to mess with.

Jim

The tri tip and the peppers both look good! I like the idea of the crumbled bacon on the poppers too, and the marinade sounds delicious! I’ll have to try it with some skewers. Nicely done!

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
That TT looks amazing. I have never thought to cube one up, but have one in the freezer & am going to try it!
Thanks for the idea!
Al

The tri tip and the peppers both look good! I like the idea of the crumbled bacon on the poppers too, and the marinade sounds delicious! I’ll have to try it with some skewers. Nicely done!
That is usually the way I make them on my pit. I thought I would try them in the smoker this time for a change.

2021_12_04_skewers01.jpg

What an outstanding looking meal. That looks like something I could destroy in HURRY. Very nice job.

Robert

Awesome thread, I need to try that TT recipe… looks like a real winner… Poppers look real tasty too! Nice job!

Looks good.
Just curious, why do you call it Peruvian? The marinade seems spicy but doesn't really appear to be Peruvian.

Looks good.
Just curious, why do you call it Peruvian? The marinade seems spicy but doesn't really appear to be Peruvian.
The original recipe was for Peruvian chicken skewers. I just upped the amounts for a tri-tip.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky