PERSISTENT SILVER SKIN

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
hEY Y'ALL
picked up a slab of pretty meaty beef back ribs today . couldn't justify the dinos they had at $10.99/lb.
to prep for tomorrows smoke I did my SPg coating on the protein side. flipped them over to take a gander at the silver skin and it was tight and un cooperative. I seem to remember in a previous conversation that salting the back side of the slab might help coerse the membrane to ne removed.
What say ye?

hEY Y'ALL
picked up a slab of pretty meaty beef back ribs today . couldn't justify the dinos they had at $10.99/lb.
to prep for tomorrows smoke I did my SPg coating on the protein side. flipped them over to take a gander at the silver skin and it was tight and un cooperative. I seem to remember in a previous conversation that salting the back side of the slab might help coerse the membrane to ne removed.
What say ye?
I’m in for the ride, I can say that on dino ribs I have just given up on removing it until post cook.

Reactions: tallbm
I don't do a lot of beef ribs, but with any ribs I give the membrane a few tugs and if it doesn't pull off I just blow it off. No way am I going to salt it just for that.
Frankly I think the membrane just mostly goes away by the time it's done.
I don't use a lot of rub, so maybe that's why I don't care....
Also, pulling that membrane off sometimes pulls off meat.

Reactions: fxsales1959
I can get the membrane off beef backs pretty easily. Hard to impossible for me to get it off of plate/short ribs so I just leave it now. There isn't any meat on that side of the rib anyway

Almost all my rib cooks go hot and fast...haven't removed a membrane for a long time...can't say I can tell a difference

Ryan

On beef back ribs, I remove the membrane if it's there, because sometimes the processor has nicked it and removed it. I do the same on a rack of lamb ribs and pork loin ribs.

On Dino or Bronto plate ribs, I leave the membrane on because with all the pull-back during cooking, the bones might cook themselves out of the slab.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I always leave it on any ribs. It peels right off when they are done & holds a lot of moisture in the ribs, IMHO!
Al

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky