Perfect Father's Day Gift

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phrogs4ever

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
So I'm having dinner with some friends Friday night and I mention that I just got an iPad issued to me from work.  Apparently, that sparked a whole silent conversation between my wife and her girlfriend because she just bought me a Nook for Father's Day and now felt like it was a wasted gift.  So the next day, they make an excuse to go out and return the Nook to Barnes and Noble and decided to buy me some barbecue book instead. 

Fast forward to this morning, when I'm called down for my favorite breakfast, banana pankcakes.  In a gift bag, my wife had bought for me a copy of Smoking Meat, by Jeff Phillips.  So before I let on how happy I am with the book, I ask her "why did you pick this book?"  She says "Well, the cover said it was from some damn website about smoking meat so I thought you'd like it."  Mind you, she's still a bit upset because she was really proud of the Nook gift and she felt like she had to settle for some book on barbecue.  I've only been truly barbecuing for a couple of years now and I tell her the whole story.  I got started on this Jeff's ecourse, and those ribs you love so much, it was his rub and sauce recipe that I started from.  This book had only recently come out, and now I had a copy of it.  She had hit a home run!

She was so happy when I told her how much I appreciated the gift and had read about others who had already purchased it.  Right now, I didn't think it was a necessity so I probably would not have bought it myself anytime soon but thanks to my wife, I have it and all summer to experiment with some new recipes.  You know you married the right woman when she knows you well enough to get you such a perfect gift on accident.  Happy Father's Day, indeed!

Great Story and Wife!!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky