Pellicle Formation and Cured Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pugsbrew

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
SE Ohio
A question on pellicle formation in making cured sausage.  I've read numerous threads mentioning the formation of the pellicle.  Some air dry, some....  The confusion I have is, if the sausage is air dried, do I need to put in smoker, no smoke, at a low temp for an hour to further dry out the outside of sausage?  Is it one or the other, or both?

Smoking freshly stuffed, cold sausage, any problems?  Assuming the process is started at 130 deg in smoker, no smoke, for an hour.

Thanks again for your help.

Smoking freshly stuffed, cold sausage, any problems?  Assuming the process is started at 130 deg in smoker, no smoke, for an hour.

Thanks again for your help.
As long as you have cure in the sausage you're good to go with that last line...  Maybe 2 hours no smoke, but that'll be dependent on the type of sausage and how wet the casings are.

As long as you have cure in the sausage you're good to go with that last line...  Maybe 2 hours no smoke, but that'll be dependent on the type of sausage and how wet the casings are.
Thanks, just to make is clear for further posters, CURE #1 will be added.

Last edited:

Thanks, just to make is clear for further posters, CURE #1 will be added.
icon14.gif

I like to hang them in the kitchen to bring the sausage up to room temperature before loading it in the smoker. then in the smoker till they're warmed up some more, then fire up the smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky