Pellets went out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
N.E. OHIO
I have the 8 X 5-1/2" tray and after two and a half hours I checked the ribs and the pellets must have gone out soon after I put the tray in. I do cover the tray with a foil pan to prevent grease from dripping on the pellets. The thin blue smoke was there but it must of been burn off or grease. Using lumber jack competition blend pellets that I nuked first then let burn 10 minutes prior to putting them in my MES 30.
This is the third time in 2 years this has happened. What is the secret?
Does dust do this? I have never tried dust. Sure would be nice to have smoke in the smoker!

Secret is good airflow. Try leaving the chip loader out. I did it that way for a long time. I find dust is little easier to stay going and use it for everything now.

Secret is good airflow. Try leaving the chip loader out. I did it that way for a long time. I find dust is little easier to stay going and use it for everything now.
Agree totally. Have never had dust go out. It will burn about 2-3 hrs less than pellets is about it.

Reactions: zwiller
I prefer the dust to pellets for most applications, but that's because I want a really gentle smoke on some things. I might have had the dust go out once or twice but that was my fault in not taking the time to stir the dust, and then to tamp it slightly.

Back to your question: Is there any chance your pellets have picked up some moisture? Like high humidity, not necessarily exposed directly to water (which would have made them crumble)? Here is what I do to insure a good burn with pellets using the tray. Don't laugh, it really works. I do this each time I use cooking pellets.
  1. Estimate the amount of pellets you will be using, and put them into a large mesh strainer and shake over some newspaper, or directly into a garbage can. Your goal is to remove dust.
  2. Get a microwave safe dish like Corning Ware (not plastic) or a ceramic mixing bowl and put your pellets in there, then place in your microwave. Okay, remember no laughing.
  3. Nuke the pellets for 1 minute on HIGH, then feel the pellets. They should be warm to the touch. If you see ANY smoke, you need to let them cool and lower the power setting, say to 70 for the rest of the drying process.
  4. Wait about a minute with the door open, and nuke them for 30 more seconds. Check the warmth, then stir them. You might see some steam and even get a light smell of wood, but this is okay. You just never want to see any smoke, or get the pellets so hot you can't touch them.
  5. Wait another minute and repeat using 30 seconds. Repeat the time and resting until the pellets are noticeably warmer than before, remove and load up your tray. You have now dried any moisture that may have contaminated your pellets, and restored them to a new condition.
  6. Allow the pellets to cool back down, then light as normal. Without dust and moisture they will light easier and burn very efficiently.

The legs, totally ended my pellets from going out...

Beef Ribs 010.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky