Pellets Absorbing Moisture?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brandon Herrera

Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
I've used my AMNPS tray twice now. Both times I cold smoked salmon in my 18" WSM. I aimed for a 12 hour smoke and a target temp of 85 or below.

The first time I did not use the water pan and I got a full 12 hour smoke. However, the temp creeped up around 90, so I decided to use the water pan on the next smoke.

On the second smoke I added the water pan with a bunch of ice. Again my plan was to smoke the salmon for 12 hours overnight, but when I woke up in the morning the fire had gone out and the pellets had expanded and become crumbled. They look like they absorbed moisture. Is this from the addition of the water pan?

NOTE: I lit the other end of the tray before taking this picture to get the smoker going again.

Thank you.

IMG_3548.jpg

I emailed Amazen and just heard back. The ice that I added to the water bowl created condensation as it melted and then dripped onto the pellets. It makes total sense considering where the tray was positioned in relation to the water bowl.

They recommended using frozen water bottles in the water pan with no water next time.

Definitely got wet. Was there condensation in your smoker that could have dripped into the tray? If the water pan was the cause, I would think all the pellets would be wet. Since it is just the middle, I think something dripped into it.

Definitely got wet. Was there condensation in your smoker that could have dripped into the tray? If the water pan was the cause, I would think all the pellets would be wet. Since it is just the middle, I think something dripped into it.

The WSM has a water bowl and I placed the tray beneath the water bowl. I'm pretty sure that the condensation trickled to the bottom of the exterior of the water bowl and then onto the tray. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky