Pellet Storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

How is everyone storing their pellets? I did some searching a found a couple of different approaches.

Curious what the latest strategies are.

Pics would be ideal!

Thanks

For my 20# bags I use 5 gallon buckets with a lid and then label the front of the bucket. For 40# bags I use the kingsford charcoal caddy, these things are awesome!

For my 20# bags I use 5 gallon buckets with a lid and then label the front of the bucket. For 40# bags I use the kingsford charcoal caddy, these things are awesome!

This is what I have been doing for about two years and I have had zero problems. I use the orange buckets from Home Depot.

FBC419AA-B819-485B-BBD0-F47BCECDBB61.jpeg

I use the 31 qt storage containers.

012.JPG

Also 5 gallon pains

017.JPG

I told BiL about the pet food containers and he seems to like them.

And Pop used feed sacks.

Thanks for bringing it up BTW, mine was about 5 years old and cracked today, no biggie just plastic embrittlement over time.

Thanks for the ideas and pics!

Any major considerations for what type of lid for the 5gal buckets?

I like the idea of the Kingsford container. Does the lid seal tight?

I use the orange 5 gal bucket available at Home Depot. What I really like is the black lid that you can purchase with it. The lid snaps down tight and then you screw off the inner lid. Working great in hot, humid rainy season South Florida.

I made this post (below) 7 years ago, before there was an AMNPS that burned Pellets.
I now use these jugs for Dust and/or Pellets:

These Jugs have screw type caps on them, and don't allow any humidity to get in.

For those of you who have an "A-MAZE-N-SMOKER", or any other dust burning smoke generator, This is how I keep my powder (Dust) dry. Humidity will effect how the dust burns.
DSC01239-1.JPG

Right now I have about 40 jugs in a metal cabinet in my garage. The left side is Dust, and the right side is Pellets.

Bear

Thanks for the ideas and pics!

Any major considerations for what type of lid for the 5gal buckets?

I like the idea of the Kingsford container. Does the lid seal tight?

I think any lid that they make for the 5 gallon bucket will work as long as it snaps tight, ive had no issues and we get pretty humid during the summer. The lid on the Kingsford just snaps in place, I doubt it lets much air in but its not a tight fit like the 5 gallon bucket, again I have never had any issues with the pellets and I know there are a few here that also use them.

Just wanted to circle back and thank everyone for the insight.

I picked up a couple of 5 gal buckets and the lids that snap down and screw in the middle. I think they will work really well.

Holds a 40lb bag of pellets.

I have three for different varieties to easily pour and store the rest of my bags on shelves in the basement.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky