Pellet Smoker - Need advice on first one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There are a number to choose from and you'll have to line up their specs against each other to make a decision what will best suit you.
Lot of opinions on all sorts of equipment. Many users are biased to what they currently smoke with and there's nothing wrong with that.
schlotz schlotz has covered it pretty well with these two comments. I did exactly this and narrowed the field to 3. Then the choice became clear due to a couple easy factors. And I bought a rec teq. Which I love and always recommend.

Many factors to consider: size, weight, construction, wifi controls, customer service, performance, cost with everything you want added (you have a good budget already which is important as you can go wild on this purchase), etc. Enjoy shopping evaluation and the purchase.

Im going to some local places in a week to see in person, and also talking to some companies about building an outdoor kitchen (rain cover will help).

Ty!!

It's funny you say that, too. When they brought my WSF over, the first thing that impressed me was the size of it. (All together now: "That's what SHE...")

Given that it roasts and sears and smokes, the first thought I had was that I could just build an outdoor kitchen around it.

It's a pretty neat.

Murph

Nothing wrong with multitasker products and for many that fits the bill, sometimes literally. Personally, there are meals that require grilling and there are meals for smoking. Yes, my smoker can grill but I bought it for it's smoking capabilities and that's what it's used for. When the meal in question does not need smoking, the grill does it better and has the necessary real estate for many items or to accommodate company for dinner. So for me, it's 'horses for courses'. :emoji_sunglasses:

Thanks everyone. Life has been busy this past week(end) but will update. I'm thinking of the following 3, and I'd like to see one or some of them in person. Youtube videos are great, but tactile feel is important. Each has pro's and cons. For example, I like the ones that have a solid drip tray at the bottom because I can cover it in foil, and the only thing that I need to do to clean under the drip tray to suck out the ash (already ordered an ash shop vac). I like Weber has a hopper in the back as it saves side space.

Once I figure things out, I'll update with my purchase - :) and a picture or two. A kitchen company is coming out tomorrow, so hopefully their estimates are reasonable enough for me to build a kitchen (fridge, sink, counter space, cut out for grill, cabinets, and hood to funnel the smoke away from my house)

1. Weber Smokefire EX6 or newer
  2. RecTeq RT 600 RT-1250
  3. Camp Chef Woodwind 36

Updated.

Oh, and wife asked me the grill I am interested in, so in the interest of being me, I sent her the link to RT-CMG BEAST & RT-TMG CHUCKWAGON

Last edited:
I have the RT 1250 and it a VERY NICE gill! It has many upgrades from the 700, ie dual band wifi, higher rpm auger, heavy duty cast deflector plate, conduit electronics, front shelf, lid drip edge, 2 sliding shelves. The 1250 gets hot fast and will get very hot....did pizzas in it the other night at 550 no issues....it will get up to 700 but I use the gasser for that kind of heat.... It also have a very nice smoke profile, its not as good as my reverse flow wood burner but its pretty good. I also have a Green Mountain Grill and the RT gives a slightly better smoke profile. The GMG can be a bit heavier....

My only complaint is I would like a shelf rack 2.5 inches above the bottom shelf, but realize virtually none have that.

Oh if you are doing a built in..... you better look at the RT page, they just released an all SS model today that is based on the 590 but has a front hopper and all the upgrades above....... It is SWEET!!!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...et-grill-calling-rec-teq-owners-users.310677/

I have the RT 1250 and it a VERY NICE gill! It has many upgrades from the 700, ie dual band wifi, higher rpm auger, heavy duty cast deflector plate, conduit electronics, front shelf, lid drip edge, 2 sliding shelves. The 1250 gets hot fast and will get very hot....did pizzas in it the other night at 550 no issues....it will get up to 700 but I use the gasser for that kind of heat.... It also have a very nice smoke profile, its not as good as my reverse flow wood burner but its pretty good. I also have a Green Mountain Grill and the RT gives a slightly better smoke profile. The GMG can be a bit heavier....

My only complaint is I would like a shelf rack 2.5 inches above the bottom shelf, but realize virtually none have that.

Oh if you are doing a built in..... you better look at the RT page, they just released an all SS model today that is based on the 590 but has a front hopper and all the upgrades above....... It is SWEET!!!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...et-grill-calling-rec-teq-owners-users.310677/

Thanks!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Hmm would the chuckwagon require a new truck to move it also???
Good question! I was thinking of getting a tow hook attached to the SUV, but getting a Ford F-150 Raptor would be very much needed. I mean, we want to make sure we can get to our destination very fast to increase the airflow to the smoker!

I was driving home, wife called to ask a question, she then said she was going to look at the smoker. She hung up. 10 seconds later she called, i pre-giggled,

Wife: "You're not serious?"
Me: "About what?"
Wife: "About spending that much money on a smoker? Do you think we are rich? Did we win the lottery?"
Me: "You're my lottery!"
Wife: "The hell I am. We are not buying a $10,000 smoker"
Me: "$10,000 smoker? You must be looking at the wrong thing. Go look at RT-1250. I mean, if you want a $10,000 smoker we can get one...hello? hello"

Oh, most fun 20 seconds i had that night :)

So, follow-up question. I am going to place the smoker in my covered patio. The top part of the patio is the house. My concern is the smoke from the smoker will turn the ceiling dark. I'd like to have an aluminum tube put over the smokestack so it funnels the smoke up and then diverts it away from the house. The tube would be loose fitting on the smokestack.

The person at RecTeq says he does not recommend doing this as it could interfere with smoke leaving the system. I'm not sure how that would be as the new tube would be a bigger diamter then the RecTeq smoke stack.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a better sub-forum for this question?

So I have my 590 under the porch. I have both a gasser and my pellet there. Yes the ceiling has gotten discolored. The advantage I have is this is area was done with aluminum sheathed foam. So I just spray it with house cleaner and gently power wash. I had the smoke problem when I just had the gasser. Maybe add a fan?

So I have my 590 under the porch. I have both a gasser and my pellet there. Yes the ceiling has gotten discolored. The advantage I have is this is area was done with aluminum sheathed foam. So I just spray it with house cleaner and gently power wash. I had the smoke problem when I just had the gasser. Maybe add a fan?
I do have an outdoor ceiling fan which should help if adding a tube is a bad idea.

Also, I see you are in Tampa. I'm on the other side, but we have similar weather (hot all year, humidity, and hurricanes). How is your RT holding up against rust?

Good question! I was thinking of getting a tow hook attached to the SUV, but getting a Ford F-150 Raptor would be very much needed. I mean, we want to make sure we can get to our destination very fast to increase the airflow to the smoker!

I was driving home, wife called to ask a question, she then said she was going to look at the smoker. She hung up. 10 seconds later she called, i pre-giggled,

Wife: "You're not serious?"
Me: "About what?"
Wife: "About spending that much money on a smoker? Do you think we are rich? Did we win the lottery?"
Me: "You're my lottery!"
Wife: "The hell I am. We are not buying a $10,000 smoker"
Me: "$10,000 smoker? You must be looking at the wrong thing. Go look at RT-1250. I mean, if you want a $10,000 smoker we can get one...hello? hello"

Oh, most fun 20 seconds i had that night :)
You are my freakin hero for today if that actually happened lol. Either way that was funny as hell.

Congrats! I think you are going to be happy!

RT are out of 304 stainless so they can tarnish and shop surface rust.... just get some spray away brand stainless polish and wipe it down when it starts looking “dry”.

I also have both my gasser and RT under the cover back porch (ceiling fan) with no issues. It is 12ft high though and AL soffit though. Putting a extension stack is NOT advised!

Congrats! I think you are going to be happy!

RT are out of 304 stainless so they can tarnish and shop surface rust.... just get some spray away brand stainless polish and wipe it down when it starts looking “dry”.

I also have both my gasser and RT under the cover back porch (ceiling fan) with no issues. It is 12ft high though and AL soffit though. Putting a extension stack is NOT advised!

Thanks. I'll look for tarnish spray. Why don't you recommend an extension?

You are my freakin hero for today if that actually happened lol. Either way that was funny as hell.
Oh, it's legit. She was ok with the RT-1250 :)

Reactions: bigfurmn
Why don't you recommend an extension?
I saw your other thread . You'd be better off to exhaust the room than adding on to the smoker stack in my opinion . If you don't get it right , it will either slow the exhaust or suck the heat and smoke out of the cook chamber at a faster rate .
When I added one on my MES 30 to improve air flow , I installed it long then ran the smoker for an hour at 250 .
Starting at the top of the extension I ran my hand down the length until it got to hot to touch . That's where I cut it off . That way it didn't condensate and drip back into the smoker . Ended up at about 4 " tall 3" diameter .

In your case the run , rise and diameter of the duct will effect the operation .
A plenum and exhaust fan above the smoker , and a run of duct through the screened wall would be my option .

I saw your other thread . You'd be better off to exhaust the room than adding on to the smoker stack in my opinion . If you don't get it right , it will either slow the exhaust or suck the heat and smoke out of the cook chamber at a faster rate .
When I added one on my MES 30 to improve air flow , I installed it long then ran the smoker for an hour at 250 .
Starting at the top of the extension I ran my hand down the length until it got to hot to touch . That's where I cut it off . That way it didn't condensate and drip back into the smoker . Ended up at about 4 " tall 3" diameter .

In your case the run , rise and diameter of the duct will effect the operation .
A plenum and exhaust fan above the smoker , and a run of duct through the screened wall would be my option .
I see. Luckily the room is outdoors. It has a concrete/painted ceiling, a ceiling fan. 2 of the 4 "walls" are the house (sliding glass doors) and the other 2 "walls" are screens which allow airflow in and out (prevent bugs from coming in). There is a ceiling fan in the middle. I plan to keep the smoker by one of the screens.

We plan to repaint our house in a year (it's 20 year old paint), so am OK trying without an exhaust and see the "damage"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky