Pellet Smoker - Need advice on first one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What about just setting up a tower fan to blow the smoke out of the screen? I have on set on top of a bench that blows above my Pit Boss to keep from blowing into the house. Since its above the grill to doesnt affect the temps. Just a thought.

Congrats for sure! I think you will love your Rec Teq!

I love the joke you played on your wife. That was funny stuff.

Also, I see you are in Tampa. I'm on the other side, but we have similar weather (hot all year, humidity, and hurricanes). How is your RT holding up against rust?
So far no real issues I have a Genesis gold that cam from CT where I was before and after 6 years here it is still going strong. I have rebuilt the guts.

Reactions: Furby076
Why don't you recommend an extension?
...... They (pellet smokers) are designed as a pressurized system to attain the right airflow/fuel mixture, if you add an extension it will cause a draft and mess up the whole burning process. Its also not advised to add gaskets to the lid either, this is a potential fire hazard to auger pot supplied burners. The "losses" through he lid are part of the design and help reduce a blow back fire into the auger tube and hopper.

Like others have said, it would be better to add an exhaust fan or an outdoor hood/fan about 30-36 inches above the smoker.

Reactions: Furby076 and TNJAKE
If it is in an enclosed area why can't you use a hood like you would in the kitchen and then you can blow the smoke out. Just make the hood big enough, there are many kinds of styles available.

I doubt it's even an issue . Some of my stuff is under white vinyl soffit . Never a problem .

This....Have it 3 feet from the siding as recommended and 6 foot clear on the top and it should clear out pretty good. I had mine under a covered porch for a long time with no issues. My wife does spray it down twice a year to keep the area clean.

If it is in an enclosed area why can't you use a hood like you would in the kitchen and then you can blow the smoke out. Just make the hood big enough, there are many kinds of styles available.
That's what I was thinking, but for now I'll see how it does with the ceiling fan. If that doesn't work well, I'll try a fan mounted to the side of the wall. If that doesn't work, then kitchen hood that sides a few feet above the grill. At that point, the smoke has left the grill
Congrats for sure! I think you will love your Rec Teq!

I love the joke you played on your wife. That was funny stuff.

Reactions: Nefarious
I'd like to thank everyone. Shipping carrier just shot me a text and the grill should be here between April 6 - 11. Then I just need some time to set it up. I'll post some pics (least I can do for all of your help)

Hello

Ive been smoking for past 1.5 years with chargriller gas/wood combo. It requires a lot of watching (add/remove heat). This means I'm focused on the smoker and not my kids, plus, limited to smoking for 5 to 8 hours.

With that, I'd like to upgrade to electronic pellet smoker. Suggestions/help would be great

Budget : I'd like to spend closer to $1,000, but can go to $1,500
Control: Use an app to set temp, timer, monitor inside of food temp and outside temp. Basically, set it and forget ut
Clean: easy to clean. Ash filter to a bin. The waste bin not get wet it if rains. The grease bin in my current griller fills up with water when it rains, spilling the oil to the ground
Rust resistent (i live in florida. Its humid)
Warranty: decent warranty would be helpful

Thanks
Any thoughts about maybe getting a controller for that instead of another cooker? That's what I am considereing for my summit charcoal or adding a pellet cooker...a fireboard drive and a fan....

Any thoughts about maybe getting a controller for that instead of another cooker? That's what I am considereing for my summit charcoal or adding a pellet cooker...a fireboard drive and a fan....
Interesting. Looks like it tried to control heat by adding air. It doesn't add fuel though. For $30 you cant go wrong.

Might be worth adding to my original grill. Ty

Reactions: SNeal5966
Interesting. Looks like it tried to control heat by adding air. It doesn't add fuel though. For $30 you cant go wrong.

Might be worth adding to my original grill. Ty
No Prob. The Fireboard 2 Drive, a Fan from BBQ Guru, will set me back a little over $300 but that should give me the same level of convenience as Pellets.....I might end up with both though....SHhhhh Don't tell my wife! LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky