Pellet smoker brand

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrbeef

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 17, 2015
SE Iowa
I would like to get my brother a pellet smoker for a wedding and house warming gift. I was thinking of the treager pro 34 or the new pro 780. He dosent need the wifi though. Im afraid that since its made in china he wont get parts or have warranty issues. What do you folks think? I have a ys640 and would buy him one but im on somewhat of a budget. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: kruizer
The YS 640 would certainly be a nice gift but as you say your budget won't allow. I can recommend the Camp Chef Wood wind as an alternative as I own one and it has been a work horse. Camp Chef has excellent customer service and warranty.

Like my 780 pro. But no experience on needing parts or warranty info. I’m sure some people here could let you know about that

Nice gift and congrats to the brother. What's your price range?
Thanks! Well he has never owned a grill or a smoker so i was gonna get him the weber 22 and the treager with all the accessories to get started. I was looking around the $1500 mark. Im afraid with all this covid going on anything made in china could present a problem if one arises. So that made me think of getting him the ys640 because its American made and i love mine. I wouldnt buy the grill then.

Like my 780 pro. But no experience on needing parts or warranty info. I’m sure some people here could let you know about that
I know the treager has a very good following but with it being made in china it could cause issues if something happend to it.

Thanks! Well he has never owned a grill or a smoker so i was gonna get him the weber 22 and the treager with all the accessories to get started. I was looking around the $1500 mark. Im afraid with all this covid going on anything made in china could present a problem if one arises. So that made me think of getting him the ys640 because its American made and i love mine. I wouldnt buy the grill then.
Check out smokin brothers. 100% merica. Nice smokers

Based on many posts I’ve seen from pellet smoker owners and your budget it’s the Rec Tec RT700. They are also running a special of 50% off the competition cart if you want to add it. The feedback on Rec Tec support is unrivaled and the controller and construction get rave reviews here and everywhere.

I know the treager has a very good following but with it being made in china it could cause issues if something happend to it.
On the other hand, about the only things that fail on these are electrical (fan, auger drives, hot finger, controller) and all are readily available on eBay for a mere 10's of dollars each. The Chinese machines basically all use the same parts. The quality US products tend to have brand-unique approaches to each of these major components. Yes, they're usually supported, but it's not cheap. Also the quality machines are built thick and strong to last. But if one of these basic electrical parts breaks after the company's "gone under", replacement parts may be very hard to come by even if the unit is structurally sound and ready for another century.
If your brother (or sister-in-law) is handy at basic diagnoses and repair, the Chinese machines (IMO) actually offer advantages, at least maintenance-wise, over the quality US marks.

• Wow
Reactions: Steff3
I went with a RecTeq last fall, after reviewing many and some listed above units and their associated reviews and specs. I couldn't be happier with it.

I've done a lot of looking around and rec-te"q" if you have the budget. I had my cart filled once when they had a sale on accessories and it topped $2000 but a heck of a deal on non sale prices. I did fill the cart with everything I could.

I've got a RecTeq RT700 and couldn't be happier with it. Very well made. I also know several people with Pro Series Traegers that are happy with their smokers and they are priced below the RT700.

I would like to get my brother a pellet smoker for a wedding and house warming gift. I was thinking of the treager pro 34 or the new pro 780. He dosent need the wifi though. Im afraid that since its made in china he wont get parts or have warranty issues. What do you folks think? I have a ys640 and would buy him one but im on somewhat of a budget. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
I had the cabelas(camp chef) for 3 years, and it worked flawlessly. Sold it and got the Cabelas 24”, and the vacuum out feature is very cool. Store the unit inside tho, as i have experienced soem moisture in my pellets, and a bit of a jam in the auger which almost caused a fire.

Thanks everyone. I guess i need to look at a couple different brands. I have a little while to make a decision. Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky