Pellet Smoker as a grill to?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I'm not saying you should not go with PID, but not all PID controlled pellet grills are designed to maintain +/-5 degree swings. There is no benefit to that kind of control so I would not list that as any kind of criteria, or you'd be eliminating some very good grills. Extremely tight control does not mean "better".

And even newer grills without PID controllers produce very stable temperatures. But I've used pellet grills that had +/-25F swings and it produced food just as good and easy as my Memphis. 
No benefit??? - that's a tough argument to win

I'm not saying you should not go with PID, but not all PID controlled pellet grills are designed to maintain +/-5 degree swings. There is no benefit to that kind of control so I would not list that as any kind of criteria, or you'd be eliminating some very good grills. Extremely tight control does not mean "better".

And even newer grills without PID controllers produce very stable temperatures. But I've used pellet grills that had +/-25F swings and it produced food just as good and easy as my Memphis. 
Twenty-five degree swings don't matter much at 225°F+ or searing a Steak...BUT...Low and Slow smoke cured Sausage or Fish at 150 to 170° with a 25° swing and you got garbage. So there is a benefit to 5° control. Just up to the individual to decide their needs and budget...JJ

Ok, here is a very minor small point but I'm thinking an exposed grease bucket could be an issue.  I have dogs and although I'm sure I can keep them out of the bucket while I'm present, I know them enough that as soon as I go inside they will be all over it making a mess of themselves.  Was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with that.  Feels kind a stupid to exclude a grill for that (and a lot of them at that) but it is something I'm concerned about.

Ok, here is a very minor small point but I'm thinking an exposed grease bucket could be an issue.  I have dogs and although I'm sure I can keep them out of the bucket while I'm present, I know them enough that as soon as I go inside they will be all over it making a mess of themselves.  Was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with that.  Feels kind a stupid to exclude a grill for that (and a lot of them at that) but it is something I'm concerned about.
I agree...There are stories of just such a thing happening. My Dog never left my side when cooking or eating and sits quietly. But leave a plate unattended and in reach to get a drink or other...The food will be gone in seconds!

I would be concerned with getting the food in and not the drip bucket so I see an enclosed grease system as a benefit. Yes I could have better control over my dog but the neighbors dogs would by a problem and grease still drips awhile after the food is removed so the deck would be a mess if I removed the bucket before going in with the food...JJ

As I review all these grills I have noticed some have chimneys and some don't.  I haven't read anywhere about the benefits or advantages of having one or not.  Anyone know if there is any advantage/disadvantage?  Or do all the smoke exhaust systems work the same regardless?

I really think a chimney is more for looks. A vent is a vent. Pellet grills have a combustion fan that pushes the air and smoke out of the pit. Some vent with a stack, some don't.

Twenty-five degree swings don't matter much at 225°F+ or searing a Steak...BUT...Low and Slow smoke cured Sausage or Fish at 150 to 170° with a 25° swing and you got garbage. So there is a benefit to 5° control. Just up to the individual to decide their needs and budget...JJ
Sure, JJ, for that particular application it may be valid. But I would not use a pellet grill for those anyway. For one thing, very few can get below 180, and those that do get very touchy when set that low. 

A blanket statement that you need +/-5 is misleading. For BBQ it doesn't matter. Now I'm sure there is a limit, but I've made plenty of great BBQ on my Camp Chef which normally fluctuated +/- 25. I now have a Memphis which is usually runs around +/- 2, and the food is no better. 

Again, my point is that avoiding grills that can't maintain +/- 5 degrees will eliminate some very good grills, including the Kuma.  

My dogs have gotten the grease bucket a few times. For the most part they leave it alone when I cooking. When the grill cools down I store it inside. I also line it with aluminum foil and empty it fairly often.
If you have yard dogs or leave a food crazy dog outside alone with it for long periods then it could be an issue.

Based on my personal experience, there is no benefit. What is your personal experience?

Based on my experience, the friends who were pellet grill owners, and I would imagine a good deal of the pellet grill owners (one who has already reponded to you) - yes their is a benefit.

Try adding something constructive instead of picking other's posts apart

Last edited:
Huge benefit to PID controllers IMO. I bought a RT and won a Traeger a few weeks later. Used both and gave my mom the Traeger. No comparison in regards to temp swings.

Hi All!  Looking to get a pellet smoker (thinking REC TEC but have not pulled the trigger).  I dont have a lot of experience smokin but plan on doing more (have a MES that works as advertised but I dont like the taste).  I was thinking of a pellet smoker not only for smoking but to use as a grill as well.  Anyone use one as their everyday grill?  I have a gas grill today but dont want to have both.   I'm not an overly picky guy and can put up with most things.  I guess my biggest concern however would be trying to grill but having it take forever because...well... its not really a grill.  Appreciate anyone with good or bad experience grilling with a pellet.

I'm in the same boat as you, looking for pellet grill to do smoking and grilling. What are your thoughts on Louisiana Grills? I'm looking at the CS570. Certainly not up in the price range of the Rec Tec but better than most of the units in the big box stores.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about a Louisiana Grill pellet smoker. It has
I'm in the same boat as you, looking for pellet grill to do smoking and grilling. What are your thoughts on Louisiana Grills? I'm looking at the CS570. Certainly not up in the price range of the Rec Tec but better than most of the units in the big box stores.
Jayace - there are way more experienced folks here than me to ask any questions on what types of grills are best.  I'm a newbie myself.  What I am learning though is a pellet grill is great for smoking but grilling is probably not their strong suit.  If you do grill with them what I have learned (on line - not in real life experience) is you need access to the open flame (ie drip pan needs to be removed or have some holes to let direct heat through) and probably a set of grillgrates.  Good luck hunting.

Jayace - there are way more experienced folks here than me to ask any questions on what types of grills are best.  I'm a newbie myself.  What I am learning though is a pellet grill is great for smoking but grilling is probably not their strong suit.  If you do grill with them what I have learned (on line - not in real life experience) is you need access to the open flame (ie drip pan needs to be removed or have some holes to let direct heat through) and probably a set of grillgrates.  Good luck hunting.

That is the great thing about the PG500 is that it has an open flame all of the time for grilling. It is a smaller area! 3-4 rib eyes or 8 or so smaller chicken thighs. Not enough for a large family but works great for me and the wife.

That is the great thing about the PG500 is that it has an open flame all of the time for grilling. It is a smaller area! 3-4 rib eyes or 8 or so smaller chicken thighs. Not enough for a large family but works great for me and the wife.
That is a good looking grill. I little out if my price range though I'm afraid. I'm looking to stay in the $1k or less area.

I'm leaning more towards an LG700. Got a line on a one-time-use demo from a local dealer and he's giving me a great price and including front and side shelves as well. Hoping to go see it this weekend.

Based on my experience, the friends who were pellet grill owners, and I would imagine a good deal of the pellet grill owners (one who has already reponded to you) - yes their is a benefit.

Try adding something constructive instead of picking other's posts apart
Not sure why you are getting so upset. I'm simply disagreeing with a single comment you made, not picking apart your post. Have you never had someone disagree with you in a discussion forum before?  And my post wasn't constructive only because it did not agree with you?

>and I would imagine a good deal of the pellet grill owners (one who has already reponded to you)

Not sure which 'one' you are referring to - I didn't see anyone else respond prior to this. 

Look a few posts up

"Twenty-five degree swings don't matter much at 225°F+ or searing a Steak...BUT...Low and Slow smoke cured Sausage or Fish at 150 to 170° with a 25° swing and you got garbage. So there is a benefit to 5° control. Just up to the individual to decide their needs and budget...JJ"

and this one

Huge benefit to PID controllers IMO. I bought a RT and won a Traeger a few weeks later. Used both and gave my mom the Traeger. No comparison in regards to temp swings.

Sorry for jumping in a few days late. I have a Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie (Larger pellet smoker) and many times I crank it up to 450 and throw some burgers and dogs on it.  I have made pizzas seared on it (though not as good a grill sear), grilled a few steaks and other things on there.  If I want more smoke I use my AMPS.  

For the drippings bucket, I have gone and replaces it with a funnel and a piece of tubing going into a old milk jug.  This way it is easy to replace/clean up after a smoke and it allows for extra capacity with it comes those extra juicy briskets.  There have been a few smokes where the brisket juices have overflowed my bucket , but has yet to over flow a milk jug.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky